The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

8 years later, finally got my AWD

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZDSM

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 1, 2006
Fort Hood, Texas
96 talon tsi/eclipse gsx

That sums up the car pretty well. I met with the guy weeks ago and looked over the car quite a bit. Having an RS for 8 years and part of the club back in AZ has made me a bit of a nut when it comes to the small things. However, this is my first boosted car, so there is a lot new to me and things I am generally unfamiliar with.

I spoke with the previous owner who did most of the work and from what he said, the owner before him(3 owners ago) blew a rod bearing and ditched the car. But the bottom end is bored .20 over with forged internals, but the details on what "all" was replaced is unknown since the 2nd owner's Uncle did most of the work. Stock crankshaft is about all the 2nd owner knows. Not sure on top end. He said they didn't really touch it, so yeah.

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/7554/gsxbay.jpg

I'm throwing that out there now for any of you guys to glance at and give me your first thoughts.

A few other things I know of is the Turbo is cheapo off ebay that the 2nd owner had put in because the older one began having issues or something. So it definitely needs to go.

My first and foremost plan is to replace the valve cover. I already found a recent ad on CL from someone parting out a 4g63. So I'll be calling him tomorrow/possibly picking it up.

As far as the sunroof goes, what experience do you guys have with it leaking? I'm guessing it's just the rubber seal around the glass that would cause it to leak that needs replaced.

Just brought the car home tonight so I haven't had the chance to REALLY look it over and get an idea of what all has been modified, etc. Plan to do that in the coming weeks.

The AWD life is much better than anything else. Make sure to fix any known problems and then follow all the maintenance guides on the site.. A well taken care of DSM is a happy DSM.

8 years long time LOL we got evos and gtrs now. But good luck on the car.

8 years long time LOL we got evos and gtrs now. But good luck on the car.

Don't remind me. Whenever I try to justify actually tuning my car I remember the Subaru BRZ and the idea of a new AE86 inspired car makes it really hard to want to dump that much cash into the Talon.:cry:

Just like everyone else said do your maintenance do a boost leak test. You will be happy with what an awd drive can especially in the snow :thumb

Get that painted and recurculate that bov please!
Thanks, I read that in the maintainence guidelines a little before you posted, along with all the other fun stuff the others mentioned with the guides available on here.

So here is the first major issue I noticed last night when doing a quick look under the hood.

http://imageshack.us/a/img21/9234/timingk.jpg

So outside of emissions testing it in the coming days, it looks like I won't be driving it much till the timing belt and those accompanying parts are replaced.

http://imageshack.us/a/img812/5050/valvecover.jpg

Pic showing the half-assed attempt to seal up the crack in the valve cover.

http://imageshack.us/a/img38/6335/wiringbn.jpg

Ghetto wiring for the manual radiator fans. They are both wired to a switch in front of the shifter that needs to be flipped on. The AC has been removed, but the compressor is still there despite what the previous owner thought.

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/996/wiring2f.jpg

Not sure what's going on here..

That is a 1g CAS , the stock connector doesn't fit so it looks like they just cut it off instead of making or buying an adapter harness.

Good to know, thanks.

I'd check the entire car out completely, if they half assed the internals like they did around the engine bay i'd be scared to drive that thing.

Yeah, I'm beginning to find other things that are questionable. Lots of mixed bolt sizes here and there holding things together. 2nd previous owner text me and told me a lot was missing when he got the car and he used what he could(the one with the shop owner Uncle who rebuilt the bottom).

Such as this!

http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/6076/20130612175514.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img41/8848/20130612165633.jpg

smh. I guess I'll see if I can have this rewelded somehow to actual serve a purpose.

Brake fluid cap spins and doesn't tighten down at all. This aftermarket overflow resevoir is useless. Besides being nearly empty it has a screw through it near the top to "mount" it on this stupid metal bracket. I laughed out loud seeing it. :\

EDIT:

Pretty sure I figured out why the sunroof "leaked" and he sealed it off. It wasn't an issue with the seal, but rather the sunroofs inability to properly close fully.

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/1073/20130613001010.jpg

That long spiral rod snapped in half and doesn't allow it to pull itself back. Just need to figure out how to pull that housing portion out to replace it.

Last edited:
96 talon tsi/eclipse gsx

That sums up the car pretty well. I met with the guy weeks ago and looked over the car quite a bit. Having an RS for 8 years and part of the club back in AZ has made me a bit of a nut when it comes to the small things. However, this is my first boosted car, so there is a lot new to me and things I am generally unfamiliar with.

I spoke with the previous owner who did most of the work and from what he said, the owner before him(3 owners ago) blew a rod bearing and ditched the car. But the bottom end is bored .20 over with forged internals, but the details on what "all" was replaced is unknown since the 2nd owner's Uncle did most of the work. Stock crankshaft is about all the 2nd owner knows. Not sure on top end. He said they didn't really touch it, so yeah.

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/7554/gsxbay.jpg

I'm throwing that out there now for any of you guys to glance at and give me your first thoughts.

A few other things I know of is the Turbo is cheapo off ebay that the 2nd owner had put in because the older one began having issues or something. So it definitely needs to go.

My first and foremost plan is to replace the valve cover. I already found a recent ad on CL from someone parting out a 4g63. So I'll be calling him tomorrow/possibly picking it up.

As far as the sunroof goes, what experience do you guys have with it leaking? I'm guessing it's just the rubber seal around the glass that would cause it to leak that needs replaced.

Just brought the car home tonight so I haven't had the chance to REALLY look it over and get an idea of what all has been modified, etc. Plan to do that in the coming weeks.

Welcome to the AWD club LOL. :hellyeah: I noticed You picked up the the car in Athens. I grew up like 20 minutes from there until I was 16 in a little town called niota im in phoenix az now though.

AWD all the way. Hopefully you're enjoying it man. These cars are a great way to learn and gain experience. My current 2gb was almost like yours; PO wasn't very nice to it and now I'm cleaning her up and now she is purring quite well :)

Not to be a dick, but there's a reason he didn't fix it and keep it. He sold it to you for a reason. Enjoy the car and remember maintenance first!

He sold it to get his hands on a 2006 SRT-4 with low mileage that some moron was selling for $3,600, haha. So I don't really blame him.

Yeah it will need a lot of touch up, I knew that but not the extent of how much. It'll just take some time is all.

Welcome to the AWD club LOL. :hellyeah: I noticed You picked up the the car in Athens. I grew up like 20 minutes from there until I was 16 in a little town called niota im in phoenix az now though.

I was born and raised in PHX myself. :) Hung out with a number of the SW DSM guys for several years. Dunno if they still get together at In-N-Out at all though.

Made quite a haul today from a guy parting out a GST that threw a bearing on him.

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/6291/8bfv.jpg

Not sure on brand of IC, but it is way bigger than the one that was mounted. Much thicker and overall higher quality. The piping is made by Injen and it's extremely clean. You don't want to see pics of the IC pipe going to the intake right now... it is disgusting.

Also, Mishimoto Radiator with hoses. I got some other misc. stuff I need such as an OEM overflow resevoir since the last owner had some stupid metal can that didn't do its job. Got the sunroof weatherstripping as mine has epoxy crap all over it when the last owner sealed it. I didn't tell him it goes for $70 new though, haha.
Brake fluid cap since mine doesn't tighten and just spins and a bunch of nuts/screws from 10/12mm and a majority being hex. A nice OEM alternative.

And last but not least a valve cover to replace mine since it has a microfracture. But oh, just kidding. Upon closure inspection this one has a microfracture in the same exact spot.

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/8114/76bc.jpg

I guess I can't complain too much since he didn't charge me for the valve cover or all the little odds and ends since I bought so much off of him. I think I'll just buy a powdercoated valve cover from a reputable dealer and call it quits.

Overall I am happy.

That looks like a vrsf fmic kit. Its the best fmic kit you can get for the price in my opinion. Nice score man!!:hellyeah:

Ah yeah, after googling that it does look like vr-speed fmic. I guess I didn't save much buying it used then, but the rest of the stuff was a score. I had to take that sunroof weatherstripping seeing as it's over $70 new from like one or two websites.

Welcome to the awd scene! I wouldnt drive any other kind of dsm personally. I hope you didnt pay asking price for it. But,, if you did,, dont fret,, just little details to work out and it will be worth it!

Congratulations on finally getting a AWD DSM! It is a world of a difference compared to a N/T.

I recommend investing in a detailing job to see the overall condition of the car, inside and out. You wouldn't believe what you would find in a lot of these DSMs!

Congratulations on finally getting a AWD DSM! It is a world of a difference compared to a N/T.

I recommend investing in a detailing job to see the overall condition of the car, inside and out. You wouldn't believe what you would find in a lot of these DSMs!

I plan on doing this myself. It will get quite a makeover by the next time it see's the road.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back