The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

78 280Z 6bolt swap

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

There are a few of these swaps going on right now but its will definitely be different then most.

I started playing with some 1 1/2 pipe making a collector and decided that it is just to big of pipe. I am going to take these back and get some 1 1/4 bends, pretty bummed really wanted to get some work done. I did up the DD boost 2psi to a whooping 12pounds today :hellyeah:.

Hey got a little update for you guys, its not much but I am pretty proud of the product so far. I started trying to make a merge collector a few days ago (have a super old wobbly chop saw), this is what i have came up with so far. The angles are not lining up real well but i think it will work.

some pics....Be nice guys haha.
WP_000739.jpg
WP_000740.jpg
WP_000742.jpg
WP_000743.jpg

Haha nice looking project, Iam actually doing something similar as well rwd wise, I have't made a manifold before but hope to do so for my project as well. The manifold needs a bit more work but Iam sure it will look 10 times better once complete. Good Job so far and keep it up !

Thank you im glade you like it. I hope it turns out 10 times better :) I might end up buying a new chop saw and make a new one. I had made some nice ones but I only turned the pipe 60* after first cut so it made a 3-1 instead of a 4-1 collector. Practice makes perfect ;).

Things are really starting to come together. I'd really prep the metal before you tact anything together. All that paint and crud will cause pin-hole leaks and will lead to cracking. And I'd possibly look into purchasing a merge collector pre-made. I also plan on building a manifold and that's the route I'm going to take, it'll save a lot of time and headache. Anyway I'm really digging the build, I love these old z's.

Thanks for all the tips. These were some pieces I has laying around that I wanted to play with. I am going to buy some flanges because I don't have the means to cut some out nicely, but I think with a better chop saw i can make a collector. Hell this chop saw wouldn't cut threw all the way so I had to finish up the cuts with an angle grinder. Plus the whole thing will be welded with a flux core wire feed from harbor freight :). I plan on saving money sending off the manifold I make to be copied (and improved) in stainless in the future. This is all new all but a great learning experience.

Well it's been forever since I have updated this build, probably because I haven't touched it since last update. Wanted to let everyone know that I in no way shape or form have given up, it just had to get put on the back burner for a bit. Had to rebuild the daily driver (and put new 3" stainless exhaust and water meth kit) but I'm back on track now and have a few things orderd for it. Maybe I can finally get this turbo manifold built haha.

Yea I really expected it to be alot further done then this but had to get things in order. Thanks for your support.
I got my head flange and turbo flange in the mail the other day.Ended up getting a 1 1/2" flange because I couldn't find a 1 1/4" flange that already had a tapper from oval to round. It's gunna work pretty good I think, I'll post some pics when I can so you know what I'm talking about.

Been having issues with the computer so haven't been able to load and pics lately. I'll try and get some up after work today. We'll I started making the turbo manifold, it's coming along pretty well. I have 2 runners done and we led up, still need to clean up welds with a grinder a little. Welding with this flux core wire feed sucks tho haha.

I'm subscribed!
I had a 74 260z 2+2 that I put a 355 in back in high school and a 72 240z with the same 355 a couple years later. They are definitely fun cars to drive! The 4g63 is an awesome engine to swap in, especially because it's lighter than the straight 6 was! I'd like to take on a project like this someday...
Keep up the good work!

Yea I'll upload pics today...gotta send em to pc threw email and it takes a while LOL. It's coming along ok, almost embarrassed to post pics of my horrible welds. Got alot of blending ahead of me and only two runners are done. I'll get you all those pics tho.

We'll iv been trying to get some pics uploading but my pc is pretty much done and isn't working, and I can't seem to add any from my phone. If someone knows how to upload pics from a phone (s5) that would be awsome...I'm lost at enter URL. LOL

Check out Facebook page for now for some pics Low Cash Customs

Last edited:
Hey man, nice to see you're still working on the Z. You're giving me some motivation to get back in the garage, but between school and work its hard to find time to work on the Z anymore :(. Once you start with the wiring, please message me because thats really the only main thing i need to get mine running.

Good luck Ace!

Sure thing Alex, wish I was as far along as you are. Yea I have been busy at work and now with it dark by 5 in cali it makes it hard to get anything done. Manifold should be done soon. I'm in the market for a nice tig welder so I can make my own ic pipes, and going to order a ic soon for it. Then wire and plumb everything. Plus the dd gsx always needs something done to it also haha.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back