The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

7 bolt 4G64 in a 1g?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIRDCLAWTSi

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 13, 2009
Danbury, Connecticut
As the title states, I am interested in putting a 7 bolt 94 4G64 into my 1g. I am having a hard time finding the info i am looking for because my searches yeild "1g head on 4G64" Not "4G64 in 1g" Long story short, I had researched this swap some time ago but kind of let go of the idea, Today a 94 galant fell into my lap, A customer blew her tranny and is not buying a new one, I had mentioned to my service writer in passing that if she does not fix it i would like to have it, So it could be mine for the low price of $200. 112k on it, Very clean car, But i want the engine. My question is, Will the Motor mounts line up with my 1g mount locations. I eyeballed it today on my way out but I was'nt 100%. Thats it, If anyone can help i would appreciate the info.
Thanks.
-Dave

4g64 is a 7 bolt g4cs is the 6 bolt, Same mounting as the 7 bolt 63. Deck hight is what is taller. You use your mounts on that motor. Are you going to retain the sohc top end?

4g64 is a 7 bolt g4cs is the 6 bolt, Same mounting as the 7 bolt 63. Deck hight is what is taller. You use your mounts on that motor. Are you going to retain the sohc top end?

No, I will be swapping everything over. I was just wondering about the 1g motor mounts lining up with the 64.

Alright. This is a for sure way to tell. I,ve been there done that. My SOHC 64 that im building (frankenstein) came out of a 94 galant. This motor will not fit into a 1g (what i had initially planned on doing), but will fit perfect into a 2g. The mounts are totally different. Front mount is over by a couple of inches and also is on the tranny and not the block. Also there is only one mount on the engine the other three are on the tranny. I may be wrong because my 1g is a non turbo but im pretty sure the mounts are the same. Someone please correct me if im wrong.

Heres some pics
Top-1g, notice the front mount on the block itself
Bottom pic-64 with a 2g trans- Notice the mount is on the trans itself

Attachments

• Block.jpg
    Block.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 168
  • for dsm3.jpg
    for dsm3.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 159
Think about it. If a 6 bolt can go in a 2g with 2g mounts then you can do the reverse on the engine block.

Yes it bolts up, I have a 7 bolt 4g64 in my car with a 2g 97-99 transmission.

You won't have a front motor mount though you have to make one.

True. But how about the mount on the side of the engine? Did it line up with no probs?

Note: Im trying to get rid of the parts in the pics if anyone is interested pm me.

What do you mean line up? The transmission is basically the same, bolt pattern is the same it doesn't change.

Think about it if a 6 bolt installs into a 2g with 2g mounts the mount bolt pattern MUST be the same on the driverside you have to shave the edge of the mount off though it touches the obstructs the water pump.

(mount shaving is also done for vice versa)

Reviving this from the dead!

So as everyone knows, there is a huge shortage of 4g64 6 bolt blocks for the 1g chassis. This leaves us with 7 bolt 4g64 blocks. Mounting the engine is the problem here since 2g engines had the Mounting on the transmission and 1g have it on the block. So, if using a 7 bolt 4g64 block in 1g, is it possible to use the 2g are transmission and transfer case on a 1g? Is this possible without changing the read differential final drive? This would allow 1g dsms to use a 7 bolt block. Of course, a front mount would need to be made in order to bolt from the 2g transmission to the 1g front cross member where the front mount is.
If someone had done this, could you post pictures?

there are other places to get a 6 bolt 4G64 block and crank, some Mitsubishi pickups and Mitsubishi expos/ eagle summit/ colt vista's/ had a 4g64 that works with our cars , also vary early 80s Mitsubishi galants and vans with the engine under the seat had the G64B 6 bolt 2.4 sohc motor, I know because I have seen them first hand, and I have sold some cranks from them for 6 bolt 2.3 stroker swaps on here, and of course the early G4CS Hyundai sonatas were 6 bolt, but honestly you have a batter chance finding a 6 bolt mighty max or Mitsubishi van/galant that has the 6 bolt 2.4 then an early Hyundai G4CS. but be warned some mighty max and vans had the wide block I think the manual trans trucks all had the block you 6 bolt guys are after.

7 bolt with 1g trans in a 1g = custom front and rear roll stop mounts.

7 bolt with 2g trans in a 1g = custom front and rear roll stop mounts, or custom roll stop cross member.

It is difficult and time consuming to do a 7 bolt in a 1g chassis. This, and the scarcity if g4cs blocks are why you see more 2.3 strokers being done. If you really want to devote the time to it, and don't mind fabricating, then it's totally possible.

We're I to attempt this, id do a custom cross member with new mount brackets. If using a full 2g trans/engine combo, it would make it marginally easier as most of the new parts would be closer to the pass side x-members current location.

A tube front end would also make things easier, but not everyone wants or is capable of doing that big of a modification.

I suggest searching for Hyundai (early sonatas should have them) or 92 and before mitsu expo and eagle summit vans. Some mitsu/dodge trucks have the g4cs block, but most have a wideblock, 6 bolt 4g64 so are unusable, save the crank which iirc is the same.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back