The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

6G72TT into Sebring questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1990AWD

Supporting VIP
Apr 27, 2009
Langham, SK_Canada
My friend has a '97 Sebring and we are looking at putting a 6G72TT AWD swap in. Two questions.

1. Do you know if the rear axle off a 2g GSX/TSi would fit into the car?

2. Which axles would we have to use? from a 3000GT/Stealth or a DSM? If the DSM axles, would they hold the 320HP?

Thanks in advance.

thats quite a bit of work. that alot of fabbing that needs to be done. lots of measuring to see if the rear tack width is the same. same with the front end also. the engine may bolt in but the axles may need to be custom made. im sure you guys are going after the sleeper look. cool but just make sure if you guys can start you can finish it.

Okay, so we'll need custom axles and driveshaft, but either rear end would work??:confused:

My friend is always up for a challenge and he is great at fabricating. He's done some crazy stuff in his lifetime.:sneaky: Just before he got the Sebring, he had figured out how to put a 5spd in his Grand Prix, and that was taking the tranny from a Grand Am, clutch from a F-Body, master cylinder from a Cavalier and other stuff.OMG

Any rearend will work... put a 9" in it. That would "work". Id suggest a 6g72tt 25spline rearend if your looking for a semi cheap IRS setup. Those are either the 93 5 speed or 94-96 6 speed twin turbo transmissions. No other years. 94-96 also came from the factory with forged intnerals. Im 100% for the swap i love seeing new things.

You're better off using a 6a11 from the JDM galant. With the 6a11, the motor and transmission are both on the same side as the 6g73 that's in the car now. With the 6g72TT, the motor and transmission are on opposite sides.

psycho's correct but almost no aftermarket in the US for that motor. Just drop a 2j in that sucker =)

Last edited:
You're better off using a 6a11 from the JDM galant. With the 6a11, the motor and transmission are both on the same side as the 6g73 that's in the car now. With the 6g72TT, the motor and transmission are on opposite sides.

ooohhhh didn't know that. We'll have to see if we can get our hands on a JDM 6A then.

6A10, 6A11,6A12 are all on the drivers side like a 4g63 and 6G72. 6A13 is on the pass side like a 6G73

Than which motor is this, in this JDM Galant?
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I'm guessing it's a 6a13 from what you said.

And to be a little more specific, the DOHC 6g72TT is on the drivers side, the SOHC 6g72/73/74 is on the passenger side.

not all 6g's trans are on the passenger side.

So let me get this straight. The best option for this swap would be the complete powertrain from a '96-'03 Galant VR-4 (6A13TT) would fit the best?

That is a 6A13 in the first pic. Second pic I can't see.

The Avenger/Sebring (coupe) were on the same platform as the Talon/Eclipse. "FJ" was the body code. Quite a few of the parts are interchangeable. Where the problem would come in is getting a driveshaft, since the Avenger's wheelbase is longer than the eclipse. The engine mounts, driveshaft, and axles would be the hardest part to get right IMO.

I wish you luck, as I see a ton of threads from people wanting to use the 6g72 engine, but have only seen one or two actually be successful. (probably because of cost) I think it would make for one cool car, tho.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back