The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

6G72 Eclipse RS (Sold due to hard times)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Today I added 3g GT wheels to get all 4 wheels to finally be the same. I gotta say, they're kind of a look. When I relocate the battery to the trunk, I will take pics of the megan racing strut bar I found, and when it's finally back at my house I'll add the coilovers and start prepping for the swap coming this summer.

1216211303b_HDR.jpg

1216211215a_HDR.jpg

so which 6g7 are you gonna use?
The engine out SOHC 6g72 out of the 3g kinda sucks.
Im not sure about the 6g75. All i have ever done on those is change out the timing tensioner for the updated one that doesn't suck.
Going with a manual transmission is the right choice. Can you get a 6 speed out of a 4th gen to work?

here is the tsb for the tensioner

TSB_AUTO_TENSIONER_FOR_6G7-1.jpg

TSB_AUTO_TENSIONER_FOR_6G7-2.jpg
TSB_AUTO_TENSIONER_FOR_6G7-3.jpg
TSB_AUTO_TENSIONER_FOR_6G7-4.jpg

Should be interesting. It's going to be a FWD manual 6g72?

The 3g wheels look decent as far as offset. Good to see since I have a set on a Stealth parts car and was considering using them on a GST.
Absolutely manual. The 3g axles work in a 4g63 evo swap, with the 3g 4g64 trans. So I'm banking that the axles work for the v6 trans also. Also being that mount points didn't change between the 3g gs and gt, then fingers crossed 3/4 mounts are the same like the 4g64 swap. Moving the trans mount a few inches is cake. I'm also auto right now, so putting in the new 3g shift box, manual brake pedal and clutch stuff should be cake.

so which 6g7 are you gonna use?
The engine out SOHC 6g72 out of the 3g kinda sucks.
Im not sure about the 6g75. All i have ever done on those is change out the timing tensioner for the updated one that doesn't suck.
Going with a manual transmission is the right choice. Can you get a 6 speed out of a 4th gen to work?

here is the tsb for the tensioner

View attachment 648051
View attachment 648047View attachment 648048View attachment 648049

I was thinking about using the 6g72 to get the ball rolling, and then in a few months upgrading to the 3.8. I'm going to fully service it before it's dropped in, so hopefully a tensioner is going to be fine LOL

Update: Just had a brain idea explosion thingy. So my spyder has a new battery. The grounds on my 420a car had been moved, so I was thinking of trying to make a really good ground, and try starting it. To see if it was the ground causing an issue, or if it really is an ecu. And even if it is an ecu, I'm hoping I can limp it home and not have to rent a trailer with the holidays coming up. I mean it limped to the shop who diagnosed it.

if you need parts for your swap let me know. i have just about everything except a few sensors that were repurposed and i don't have a MT, just a regular AT. Tranny has a fairly new pump (under 10K) and it has the revised wave ring. It didn't shift smooth though it kinda jerked.
the chassis, engine, tranny only had around 85K on them.
there a alot of newer parts, like almost no miles or under 10K but the car has been sitting for like 6 years.

DSC06758.JPG

if you need parts for your swap let me know. i have just about everything except a few sensors that were repurposed and i don't have a MT, just a regular AT. Tranny has a fairly new pump (under 10K) and it has the revised wave ring. It didn't shift smooth though it kinda jerked.
the chassis, engine, tranny only had around 85K on them.
there a alot of newer parts, like almost no miles or under 10K but the car has been sitting for like 6 years.

View attachment 648172
Where are you located at?

albuquerque

Update: Going to be auto 6g72. I found out the f4a51 that the 3gs come with can be built via level 10 to hold 750hp or so. My car is already auto, so it works out! I'm looking forward to it and it's all gonna happen come tax time. Thank you dustyboner

Added a quick $60 ebay wheel setup. The hub is solid, the wheel passed with a bend test (little to no bend at all), but the quick release they include is garbage. Definitely recommend getting a better quick release. This was just for ease of work in the car, I don't plan on running the bad release on the street. Overall it looks really good!

Attachments

• 1226211355_HDR.jpg
    1226211355_HDR.jpg
    510.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 1226211356_HDR.jpg
    1226211356_HDR.jpg
    568.6 KB · Views: 41
What brand coilovers are those and where did you buy them from? This is the first time I've seen a set like those for a 2g.

It's a very cheap brand with their own horror stories, but I've had good luck with them being reliable and fine. Buying from their site is cheaper than anywhere else, some have a $200 markup.

Oh ok. I guess I've never seen them because I don't normally shop for Chinese products LOL

But if they work for now, more power to you!
I plan on upgrading to GodSpeed everything, camber arms, toe arms, coils, etc come tax time. I may give this set to my buddy to run on the spyder he's buying from me.

I plan on upgrading to GodSpeed everything, camber arms, toe arms, coils, etc come tax time. I may give this set to my buddy to run on the spyder he's buying from me.
You've got me interested in the godspeed fwd swaybars. Seems like a hard thing to mess up. 21mm solid chromoly front and 19mm solid rear for $130 shipped.

Are GS coilovers any better than the ones you got?

You've got me interested in the godspeed fwd swaybars. Seems like a hard thing to mess up. 21mm solid chromoly front and 19mm solid rear for $130 shipped.

Are GS coilovers any better than the ones you got?
Leaps and bounds better. The subie guys swear by them. Comfy ride, reliable and durable, and great cust service. Basically an entry level BC coil in my opinion. Plus they make all the parts for camber, caster, and toe correction on our cars to go with their coils.

Update: 2g and 3g front lower control arms are the same. This being said, the 3g and 2g front subframes look swappable, just like the rear subframes for 3g awd swaps. Pics for reference. The gt front subframe is important because the mount differs from the 2g/3g 4 cyl mount. This being said, I could put the 3g front subframe in, and then 2/3 engine mounts should line up, and the trans mount bracket on my chassis most likely will need to be moved 6" like the 4g64/evo engine swap. I'll only run 3 mounts with polyurethane inserts to hold the power. 3g axles should work because they would be the same as the 4g64 fwd swap, which uses stock 3g axles. We'll find out in summer, I have a whole front end and swap lined up. Maybe I can even use the bigger gt brakes over my rs brakes using 3g hubs. Time will tell. I will make a front subframe swap write up. I'll also use the 3g steering rack to keep it all bolt in.

Screenshot_20211230-221652.png

IMG_0774.JPG

57_5f2c7818-54d8-461b-8d5a-14dfc2a263b9_900x.jpg

I am sorry to dissapoint everyone but I had to get rid of a dsm and unfortunately it was this one. I will be making a profile on my spyder, but as it stands this car is no longer mine.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back