The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

6cm Vs 7cm turbine housing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrevorS

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 10, 2009
Newark, Delaware
I have a 14b and I'm aware the 7 sq-cm turbine housing will flow more exhaust volume, which is good for improving max power. What I'm wondering is how does it effect initial spool up behavior? I'm thinking that the 6 sq-cm housing, though more restrictive in terms of max flow, might well provide a somewhat quicker turbo response -- seems like there are usually trade-offs with this kind of thing. Anybody have any experience with this?

7cm housing will spool a tiny bit slower than 6cm. I have the 7cm housing on my 14b and I like it. The slower spool helps to stay out of boost when youre just cruising around town. And when you get on it, it holds boost steady til redline. Also matches up great with my fp manifold :)

Correct, the 7c housing increases the spool time by about 600rpm but improves performance in the higher end.

The 6cm has a lower rpm spool time and maxes out at about 5500-6000 rpms before the 14b eats it.

A few people with the 16g like the 6cm on for daily driving. I have a big 16g with 7cm housing and hit 15lbs (max boost set with MBC) at 3300rpms. Hitting 15psi at 2600rpm with the 6cm sounds pretty attractive especially with how hard the big 16g hits. Get pinned into the seat compared with the 14b.

Easy to find and swap the 6cm though. 7cm housing are pretty pricey unless you go EBAY.

The 7cm housing is definitely worth doing in my opinion. It really woke the car up in the mid/top end. It was really night and day on the butt dyno.

I cant say that i seen 600rpm's slower, more like 200 maybe. I had mine sent out to FP for their port job too though. I run 17psi at the moment and it holds it to redline no problem.

There really is no downside to the swap.

o and here is a link to FP's port work
Forced Performance Turbochargers: Porting Services

and a shot of the work after its been ran

Attachments

• downsized_1017111746a.jpg
    downsized_1017111746a.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 624
You can get better spool up depending on what exhaust manifold you have too.

Thanks guys :)!

You can get better spool up depending on what exhaust manifold you have too.
I've a ported 2G manifold and O2 housing, but didn't port the 6cm housing. There's a big difference in opening size between the 2G manifold and turbine housing.

Here's an interesting post regarding porting the 070 housing -- he suggests an alternative!

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/251617-ported-14b-vs-small-16g.html#post151827081

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/blogs/dsm-onster/312-dont-port-your-16g.html

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back