The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

2G How To: 6bolt auto swap in a 2g car

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well last July my 7 bolt took a dump , so I began the search for a 6 bolt. I found a n/t 6 bolt long block and paid 150 for it . ( When I negotated the price from the scrap yard it was for the short block only but to my supprise , when I picked it was a complete long block :thumb: ) .

To my supprise opon reaserching the 6 bolt swapinto an auto car I found there was a problen with people trashing the frount pump of the trans . ( THe problem was caused by the torque converter being pushed intop the pumps houseing in the trans ). I mocked the 7 bolt with the crank installed into the car and and took meashurements of the tqs play and flywheel orentation to the tq . I then did the same to the 6 bolt and found there was excessive preshure on the tq . I set the blocks side by side and discovered the tq bushing in the crank in the 6 bolt is stepped and the 7 boltis not . The step caused the tq to be pushed in to the frount pump .This was an easy fix a 6 pack of bud ice and a quick trip to by friends machine shop to bore out the I.D. of the bushing and problem salved .

Problem 2was the 6 bolt being a 3 eared flex plate I had the Tq rebuilt and the ears re welded from the 7 bolts 4 ears to the 3 ears oft the 6 bolt . The shop that did it also upgraded the tqs internals and balanced it . I bolted the 6 bolt back in for meashurements and vola everything lined up .

Well the engine build is pritty mild 90 big rods , 95 pistions , clivlite bearings , new rings , mild hone job , new frount case ,t belt and accessories , valve stem seals , ect . The turbo is a 14b (god I want a 20g ) .

Speed goodies are Dave Broge upic , 1g bov , k&n <, 90 oil cooler houseing with air coller cooler , all free mods . All free mods .

I put 500 miles on her this week and no major problems except my oil cap leaks . but for you auto guys A 6 b0olt swap can be done and is worth it for the driveabilty of an auto .
If anyone wants pics they are in my gallery or any question I will be happy to answer them for you...

HAPPT BOOSTING:D

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back