The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

68hta

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So basically that turbo would make what you are on pump gas and maybe a little more depending on what mods there are.
Pump gas hurts any upgraded turbo using a TD05H turbine. Unless spool is so crucial that you're willing to sacrifice total horsepower production to make the turbo come to life sooner, I'd honestly look for something with a larger turbine wheel to lower backpressure, drop EGT's, and make the car easier to tune on pump gas before running into a knock wall.

Ive been holding off on asking you Justin cause I know your a busy guy. So what are you thinking then?
You have an Idea of what im looking for and can build pretty much anything.

Last edited:
Pump gas hurts any upgraded turbo using a TD05H turbine. Unless spool is so crucial that you're willing to sacrifice total horsepower production to make the turbo come to life sooner, I'd honestly look for something with a larger turbine wheel to lower backpressure, drop EGT's, and make the car easier to tune on pump gas before running into a knock wall.

This sums up the 05h conundrum. If you are running the td05h turbine it will be the defining component in your turbo system on pump gas. Anything but a 14b can for the most part max an 05h on pump gas. This is why you see most guys making 350ish pump gas hp on their cars wether it is a 20g 16g, hybrid, 68hta, or whatever.

my 71hta with a bigger wheel and same 05 turbine is amazing as well. I went 123 on only 22ish psi with supporting modsat.

That's pretty awesome.

This sums up the 05h conundrum. If you are running the td05h turbine it will be the defining component in your turbo system on pump gas. Anything but a 14b can for the most part max an 05h on pump gas. This is why you see most guys making 350ish pump gas hp on their cars wether it is a 20g 16g, hybrid, 68hta, or whatever.

That's pretty awesome.

I have not made it to the track yet but on recent street racing trips to Mexico my car appears to be at least 127-130 as it sits now. Current mods over my 123 trap runs are a lot more boost via holset modified wg actuator, modified rear bumper for better traps and an external o2 dump which made a huge diff over my 2g o2 housing plumbed back into my small 2.5 inch downpipe. I had to also get rid on my rewiree 255 and get a jays racing Pump because i was outflowing it. That simple fact right there shows me the car is making some pretty serious power. Currently my odyssey battery is dead and I have no car allowance due to buying a new house in the very near future. I'm trying to scape up change and get a battery to get to the track while the temps are still cold in fl. I am running quite a bit of timing (20-21 up top) which is a must to make power on these small turbos.

With the proper set the 71hta should make 400whp on pump no prob.

Yea it should make 400hp no problem, so should a 20g. But people run into knock issues and the turbine doesn't hold boost very well for guys spinning over 7k. I can never get more that 27-28 psi out of 05h 20g's up top.

Your car seems to be doing prettydamn good on the 05h though with great timing. This was on pump?

E85 and you are right about boost I spike 33, at 7500 it only holds about 27-28. In sure when I add some s2s maybe a lb or two less.

Very curious about all these extended tip td05 20gs but for some reason there are no real world results. I was gonna go td05 20g with one is these new wheels but I disnt for that reason. The anti surge housing with the 71 also was a plus for me

E85 and you are right about boost I spike 33, at 7500 it only holds about 27-28. In sure when I add some s2s maybe a lb or two less.

Very curious about all these extended tip td05 20gs but for some reason there are no real world results. I was gonna go td05 20g with one is these new wheels but I disnt for that reason. The anti surge housing with the 71 also was a plus for me

To anyone curious, and a BIG thank-you to Justin:
My '99 GSX was stock, I ran 100octane unleaded, and it spooled quick, and was fun, but wasn't too fast on the stock t25.
My '96 TSi was a stock longblock, with boltons, and a Blouche big T28... stock EMS, stock 2g injectors, it ran okay, but
as soon as I installed dsmlink and 680 PTE's, fuel lab regulator, and turned the boost to 18psi, the clutch spun... Okay..

I came into some money, called MAPerformance, got a nice clutch kit, exhaust from the turbo back, and an FP68hta, install kit
this turbo was, by far.. the coolest thing I had experienced in quite awhile, spool up wasn't INSTANT!! but it was early in the
power band. It pulled all the was to 7000RPM's, on a studded/headgasketed 7bolt, with Balance Shaft.. I blew that engine and
bought a good used engine, but not really thinking, I put the 68hta on the newer longblock, there was debris in the cartridge, and
2000miles later, spun a rod bearing... Sooo.. to wrap things up..

I now own a .040 9:1 wiseco/scat, BC272cams/springs/retainers, arp everything, 16 new lifters, cometic 2.0 liter.. and needed
a turbo.. I shipped my 68hta to Justin, bad news... wheels came in contact with something.. only thing salvageable was the turbine
housing... So, I decided to go with the td06sl2 20g, oil cooled only. The td06 is running excellent.. It pulls harder, and higher into the
RPM range, and spools up, very comparable to the 68hta. My compression ratio is a tad higher now, and a little more cc's in cylinder size,
but Justin was absolutely correct. This 20g he built me is a very fun street car, can pull on the highway just as hard/far as you could
ever want to travel, and was priced right. My 68hta was $1000 back in 2010, and this billet 20g tdo6 was a large chunk cheaper..

Justin definitely knows what he's talking about. I'm sorry I don't have any 1/4 mile times, or dyno sheets or more comparable data.
I went with this turbo because just mentioned the 9:1 pistons and the cams and stuff would make for a fun street car.. and that is
exactly what it is. There isn't much on the street, I cannot put a WHOOPIN' on..havnt lost yet.. sti's, wrx's, Hondas (LOL), havnt raced
an LSx yet, and getting mine tuned.... FINALLY!!!! once its tuned, I will try to get on chads dyno, and let ya'll know what a basic 2 liter turbo can do!

--Steve

Any updates what were the final figures like
My '99 GSX was stock, I ran 100octane unleaded, and it spooled quick, and was fun, but wasn't too fast on the stock t25.
My '96 TSi was a stock longblock, with boltons, and a Blouche big T28... stock EMS, stock 2g injectors, it ran okay, but
as soon as I installed dsmlink and 680 PTE's, fuel lab regulator, and turned the boost to 18psi, the clutch spun... Okay..

I came into some money, called MAPerformance, got a nice clutch kit, exhaust from the turbo back, and an FP68hta, install kit
this turbo was, by far.. the coolest thing I had experienced in quite awhile, spool up wasn't INSTANT!! but it was early in the
power band. It pulled all the was to 7000RPM's, on a studded/headgasketed 7bolt, with Balance Shaft.. I blew that engine and
bought a good used engine, but not really thinking, I put the 68hta on the newer longblock, there was debris in the cartridge, and

I now own a .040 9:1 wiseco/scat, BC272cams/springs/retainers, arp everything, 16 new lifters, cometic 2.0 liter.. and needed
a turbo.. I shipped my 68hta to Justin, bad news... wheels came in contact with something.. only thing salvageable was the turbine
housing... So, I decided to go with the td06sl2 20g, oil cooled only. The td06 is running excellent.. It pulls harder, and higher into the
RPM range, and spools up, very comparable to the 68hta. My compression ratio is a tad higher now, and a little more cc's in cylinder size,
but Justin was absolutely correct. This 20g he built me is a very fun street car, can pull on the highway just as hard/far as you could
ever want to travel, and was priced right. My 68hta was $1000 back in 2010, and this billet 20g tdo6 was a large chunk cheaper..

Justin definitely knows what he's talking about. I'm sorry I don't have any 1/4 mile times, or dyno sheets or more comparable data.
I went with this turbo because just mentioned the 9:1 pistons and the cams and stuff would make for a fun street car.. and that is
exactly what it is. There isn't much on the street, I cannot put a WHOOPIN' on..havnt lost yet.. sti's, wrx's, Hondas (LOL), havnt raced
an LSx yet, and getting mine tuned.... FINALLY!!!! once its tuned, I will try to get on chads dyno, and let ya'll know what a basic 2 liter turbo can do!

--Steve

Thank you very much guys! Really appreciate it!
for

--Steve
Thanks for the post. I'm "trying" to get another DSM right now and piece a build together. I had one of those GTX-style "20G" comp. wheels with a TD06 turbine, machined out TD06SL2 7cm housing and 3" anti-surge covers built. I have no idea what it's going to do but this testimony has been a close enough approximation. Ideally - 400 WHP on 92 pump is desired but honestly willing to settle for anything enjoyable and safe for the engine. These comp. wheels should not even be called a "20G." They're very different in many ways and similar in only form factor.

Last edited:
I had one of those GTX-style "20G" comp. wheels with a TD06 turbine, machined out TD06SL2 7cm housing and 3" anti-surge covers built. I have no idea what it's going to do but this testimony has been a close enough approximation. Ideally - 400 WHP on 92 pump is desired but honestly willing to settle for anything enjoyable and safe for the engine.
From experience, I haven't had great results with the 11-blade GTX-style compressors compared to other billet 20G adaptations. They seem to work fine for low boost applications like GMC Syclone/Typhoon trucks but for whatever reason on kill mode the numbers were just never there. I would've went for the 7/7 D655 wheel instead as you're already using the 06SL2 turbine. The D655 wheel is the highest-flowing option I've seen thus far but it's heavier than the stock cast wheel making it a bad pairing to an 05H turbine as the smaller turbine will hold you back from maxing out the compressor, and you don't get any spool benefit from the compressor being lighter because it's not. So I typically pair the 6-blade D635 wheel to TD05H turbines and the 7-blade D655 wheel to TD06SL2 and larger for guys who are trying to get the most out of their 20G.

From experience, I haven't had great results with the 11-blade GTX-style compressors compared to other billet 20G adaptations. They seem to work fine for low boost applications like GMC Syclone/Typhoon trucks but for whatever reason on kill mode the numbers were just never there. I would've went for the 7/7 D655 wheel instead as you're already using the 06SL2 turbine. The D655 wheel is the highest-flowing option I've seen thus far but it's heavier than the stock cast wheel making it a bad pairing to an 05H turbine as the smaller turbine will hold you back from maxing out the compressor, and you don't get any spool benefit from the compressor being lighter because it's not. So I typically pair the 6-blade D635 wheel to TD05H turbines and the 7-blade D655 wheel to TD06SL2 and larger for guys who are trying to get the most out of their 20G.

We're both going to be waiting for results. I have no experience piecing together a turbo and undertook it as a learning experience. The worst thing that happens is it doesn't work well and I buy or have another turbo built.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back