The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

6266 Build or Bust

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I love the VC finish and Spark Plug Cover. Where did you get it and how did you do the VC?
Hey man the valve cover was purchased from another member on here a few years back, not sure if he’s still around or making them but I’ll look into it, and the spark plug cover was purchased from stmtuned I believe👍🏻

Hey guys so yesterday I got the car completely back together aand no 5th gear or reverse LOL, after we started it we noticed the major oil leak was fixed, but there’s still a slight leak where the FP in-line filter threads in to the universal 4an line, I’m gonna try an EARLS filter to see if it’ll seal up better, but again it barely leaks, but still annoying. Anyways so my brother-in-law was with me ready to take her out and there we are unable to back out of the damn garage LOL, so I pull apart the center console and we adjust the driver side as tight as it would go and viola! We had reverse! As soon as I got the ole girl backed out of the garage we hit the street:rocks:.
9E25867B-C2D7-46D3-888A-7AC49F9A9742.jpeg
As far as the drive, well it was fun but the current tune is $h%t. Rpm’s we’re all over the place, it’s running rich, but it needs a lot of work before I try and drive it again. Tomorrow I’m gonna re boost leak test it, also double check base timing, and re read/learn all the basics of tuning. Hope to make some progress on that throughout the week I’ll keep you guys posted, have a great night!

0AD10A37-BE1E-4EB1-889C-293CA668B93A.jpeg

Hey man the valve cover was purchased from another member on here a few years back, not sure if he’s still around or making them but I’ll look into it, and the spark plug cover was purchased from stmtuned I believe👍🏻
If they are not I would like to figure out the process to duplicate and try it out on my own.

So I checked my old PM’s and he hasn’t been on here since 2019 LOL, but I’m sure there’s some good write ups on how it’s done, if I were to make my own I would weld the fittings on the side of the cover instead of the top for better clearance with the hood:thumb:

So I checked my old PM’s and he hasn’t been on here since 2019 LOL, but I’m sure there’s some good write ups on how it’s done, if I were to make my own I would weld the fittings on the side of the cover instead of the top for better clearance with the hood:thumb:
Ya I already figured the side would be the way to go. I really just want to figure out how to duplicate that finish. That part is a long ways off for me so I got time to figure it out LOL.

One thing I’ll say about a powder coat finish if you do in fact go that route is to remove the baffles BEFORE you powder coat, otherwise you risk unknowingly contaminating the oil with whatever ends up in the baffles, and for what it’s worth my valve cover has no baffles, other than a little plate tacked on just under the 2 fittings and so far I’ve only caught condensation in the catch can:thumb:

So a little update today, found 2 boost leaks, 1 at the pcv valve and one at the throttle body coupler, both of which are fixed. Also corrected my injector settings/fuel pressure settings in link, but I still couldn’t get base timing set, after warm up it starts surging like crazy, when I grounded the timing and connected the timing light the mark on the crank pulley was all over the place, does anyone know what caused this? This isn’t my first time setting it but knowing my luck so far I’m sure I’m doing something wrong:banghead:
4FFC2197-3303-44CA-A71B-2931CBF555A6.jpeg

Yesterday after getting timing set and the idle steady, I took her out for her first real test drive! Went to the gas station and filled her up on some fresh e85, and then just drove around for maybe 20 minutes or so, the positives are she is shifting fine, it never stalled, the rpm’s don’t fall too quickly between shifts or when coasting in neutral, which I only did once as I understand the engine needs those downshifting vacuum pulls for ring seating. The funnest part of course we’re the 50% throttle partial pulls…the turbo sounds soo good, and holy cow, I only built maybe 12-14 psi but it was already beginning to throw me back and I can tell this thing just wants to take off LOL. But the tune is no where near ready LOL, I’ll try and begin fine tuning the global/dead time this weekend, along with the VE adjustments, but anyways it was just awesome to be able to drive the car:rocks: So onto the negatives which aren’t too bad but.. the exhaust note is TERRIBLE LOL, the highest I revved was maybe 5800? But this thing sounds like it has the Apexi FART CAN 9000! I hate it LOL, It sounds like a pissed off Honda(No Hate) I’m gonna buy another Magnaflow race series muffler for it to hopefully to get it sounding a little better LOL. Couple other things my IAT sensor wasn’t working for some reason and this thing is STILL leaking oil from somewhere under the turbo now, but the oil pan is leak free! Anyways I had a blast in the car and I’ll keep you guys posted!:hellyeah:

The tubular exhaust manifold gives the car a more raspy. It took me by surprise when I first installed it and I thought something was wrong.
I think I’ve heard that before actually, definitely wasn’t expecting it LOL, I’d still like to weld on a muffler in hopes of it being toned down a little:pray:

Hey guys so quick update, yesterday I pulled the car in the garage to jack it up and take a look under the turbo, both ends of the drain flange looked good, which tells me it is just the stupid in-line filter leaking which I’m now confident is the ONLY oil leak left on the car, upon trying to tighten it up some more it finally let go. It’s either stripped or broke I don’t know:banghead:. I’ve already ordered a new oil line with a EARLS in-line filter that I’ll give a shot. I’ll say I think the FP filters should be used with FP oil lines, on my dsm82 I ran the black one with their 2g oil supply line no issues, but with the stmtuned ‘pte’ oil line not so much.

Yessir that’s what I’m running currently:thumb:

Good! That's one of the things that really makes it more hard-core I think. If I don't drive my car for a couple weeks and I've gotten acclimated to my other cars that are stock, then the next time I drive this thing and that waste gate comes open, it feels like a whole new level of crazy every time.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back