The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

600hp daily turbo setup help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OutKastGSX

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 4, 2012
St. Amant, Louisiana
Hi guys i hate to make one of these help me pick out a setup threads but, i am at a stand still here. I am shooting for a 600hp daily driver, i t will see occasional track use . I want to know what turbo from these do you think will be the best setup for me and the most cost efficient, though cost. isent the only factor. Also keep in mind this will be on 93 pump. The choices i am considering are hx40, fp journal bearing red,or the new fp ball bearing black. Also i haven't picked out the comp ratio Of the pistons yet so what ratio would you guys recommend with your turbo choice. Thanks in advance.

Are you aware of the number of people with 600HP Daily driven cars?

That being said, go with the HX40. Its Tried and true.

Are you aware of the number of people with 600HP Daily driven cars?

That being said, go with the HX40. Its Tried and true.

Do you know what you're talking about?

OP there are a lot of high powered DD's around here and we all have very different setups. In the end it really depends on what you want to spend. I have journal bearing fpred and its nice for the shear fact that its basically a bolt on turbo. A buddy uses an hx40 and likes it. Both are great turbos so its all in what you want.

Hi guys i hate to make one of these help me pick out a setup threads but, i am at a stand still here. I am shooting for a 600hp daily driver, i t will see occasional track use . I want to know what turbo from these do you think will be the best setup for me and the most cost efficient, though cost. isent the only factor. Also keep in mind this will be on 93 pump. The choices i am considering are hx40, fp journal bearing red,or the new fp ball bearing black. Also i haven't picked out the comp ratio Of the pistons yet so what ratio would you guys recommend with your turbo choice. Thanks in advance.

Goto the dyno threads,there you'll find plenty of ideas even checkout the Holset threads for ideas! Search!

Id wait for the fp black. Although I have never used either of them.

Also you will need new internals, pistons, bearings, crank polished, cams, valves, springs, bigger fuel injectors, fuel pump walbro 400lph, rewire kit, ECMLINK, wideband, boost gauge, 3inch exhaust, mbc, arp L19 headstuds, FMIC, possibly more check out the build threads and this too
Dyno sheets
it shows what people made in horsepower and what they were using.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love my holset hx40, i daily drive it on 30 psi. Think i have t case rear diff issues now and a collapsed lifter ^_^ i love this turno and the spool sound is unparalleled :) I'm waitingnfor my STM manifold to be made up so i can go T3 and haul 9s

That said, even though the price of the black is going to be a little high. I forsee very good numbers this year on them. ( phunny good luck with yours,
Make me proud.)

I've searched so much that i cant make a choice LOL. I will keep the search going, though i have heard good things about holsets i like the sleeper aspect of the fp red, black.

I think it's retarded that the black is 68lb a min in that small of a turbine housing. But whatever it's a 3582 comp wheel with a tdo6 exhaust wheel.

I think i COULD see 75+lb a min on my hx40 with a proper intake manifold. When i switxh to t3. You will definately need larger than 1000cc injectors cause I'm MAXING them out at 30psi and probably just shy of. Only 500 hp on 94 oct pump

+1 on the hx40...
Why are you staying on pump ? If e85 is available I'd recommend going with that.
As far as pistons go it's up to you.. I'm sure most of us could tell you that going higher than 9:1 will throw some roadblocks in your way unless you are or know one hell of a tuner.

Good luck on the build.

Lol i forgot to mention i have most of the supporting mods done for this. This isent my first dsm, i have two LOL. Anyway thanks for the suggestions guys, i wish so bad they had e85 round here but it is only one place in the state LOL. :(

^ in reguards to that comment, I'm a 9.2:1 CR and i tune it myself with no knock. I bought my first dsm april 2011

I was talking about more along the lines of 10+ :1. Not saying your a bad tuner, but some people just get it and other's don't. I tune my own DSM with no knock at all, but I'm on e85 and SD at 9:1 so it helps a bit. & I've only been boosted for 3 months. :dsm:

OP that sucks, e85 is still hard to find some places. I know the Texans seem to love "flexfuel" its everywhere.

Lol 1 place in baton rouge thats it, and thats 25 miles from here so not practical. I have link v3 with sd for tuning and plan on having it tuned by tdc in Mobile, al.

I love my holset hx40, i daily drive it on 30 psi. Think i have t case rear diff issues now and a collapsed lifter ^_^ i love this turno and the spool sound is unparalleled :) I'm waitingnfor my STM manifold to be made up so i can go T3 and haul 9s

That said, even though the price of the black is going to be a little high. I forsee very good numbers this year on them. ( phunny good luck with yours,
Make me proud.)

Out of curiosity, have you hauled 10's yet and at what mph, if so? Not tryin to be a dick or anything. I just didn't know if you had been to the track with the current setup.

Out of curiosity, have you hauled 10's yet and at what mph, if so? Not tryin to be a dick or anything. I just didn't know if you had been to the track with the current setup.

I havent been to the 1/4 track but i have time myself with a stopwatch. But of course that isnt as accurate, I'll be hitting the track april 6th on the .55 ar housing. I do all my tuning on the freeway. I hit 114 at the top of 3rd from a roll.

I say haul 9s cause thats my end goal, and has been proven with a simular setup. I'm only in need of larger injectors and an intake manifold at this point. My last time to the track "1/8thish" i was hitting 1.6 60' on crappy street tires that i daily with at 25psi I'm on 30 now and will be 100% turning it up shortly.

If you know what your doing and can do some fab work I would go with a 6 or 7 blade HX40 with bep t3 .70 a/r housing or a stock t3 divided 16cm2 holset housing. For the price you would pay for Fp black ($2000) you can get your self a bad ass tubular exhaust manifold which is better then your stock cast any day of the week and a good used HX40. Depending on who you buy the manifold and turbo from you might have money left over for the material to build a custom o2 housing and down pipe and external wastegate on top of that. HX40s are proven to hold 40 psi of boost to 8500 rpms, I have yet to see that done by the to Fp black. If you're planning on running pump gas and shot for 600 HP then you will need some serious water/meth. With all the supporting mods, water/meth, HX40, 32-35 psi of boost should put you in that HP range.

Now if you don't like to do much fab work or don't have the tools to do so then you have few other options. You can either get HX40 with bep bolt on housing for somewhere between $500-700 dollars or Fp black for $2000 dollars. Fp black will spool faster because it has a smaller exhaust wheel and exhaust housing but your top end will suffer. You probably will not be able to hold 37+ psi of boost to 8500 rpms and you peak HP will be around 7000-7500 rpms vs HX40 that would be abound 7500-8000 rpms.

Bottom line, its up to you. Both turbos have their advantages and disadvantages so its more up to you what you're willing to give up or gain

As for compression ratio, if I had to do it all over again I would go with 9-1 or 9.5-1 instead of 8.5-1

You are just going to have to choose a 600hp turbo and put the supporting mods to it to make it work. Set up cost vs fab work in a lot of cases. You have to search and come up with what your goals are and make a choice.

The fab work is why i didn't really want to do the hx40 though, i know they are great turbos. I was hoping to be able to do this strictly on pump or at least get close to my 600hp goal. I will continue the research, also i seen a guy on the 1/4 mile times page that has a 609hp hx40 on pump gas. I will contact him and seeif he has any good info, thanks for the input guys.

+1 on the hx40...
Why are you staying on pump ? If e85 is available I'd recommend going with that.
As far as pistons go it's up to you.. I'm sure most of us could tell you that going higher than 9:1 will throw some roadblocks in your way unless you are or know one hell of a tuner.

Good luck on the build.

He is trying to make it a daily driver and if you take it on road trip e85 is not available everywhere. I know thats why im staying on pump gas with mine, cause there isnt many e85 stations between okc and where my daughter is as well as between okc and my family, and running out of gas is never fun. LOL

I'm shooting for 500 to the ground with an fp red. phunny on here made 600 with his red and its for sale for cheap!!!! I would buy it:thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back