The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

600HP Build List?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1000hpgsx

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 17, 2010
Rockland, Maine
Hey guys, long backstory to my car but the very short version is I’ve put 10 miles on it in the last 10 years. Had an issue with it and I’m kind of starting over and looking for a build list.
I know my username… I was probably 23 when I made it LOL
with that said I’m looking to make around 600hp, 1/8th mile track and occasional 1/4 track. Weekend warrior is an overstatement as I never drive it. However, I would like it semi street-able.
I think my head is still good with oversized valves and that’s it. I imagine I should do cakes and springs.
7bolt with DSM Link. I do have pistons and rods but the engine is going to the shop.
So what I’m looking for is a list of parts to help me have a checklist of sorts.

Thanks for any help guys!

Whats cakes and springs?
Cams? Perhaps. If so yes cams and springs for sure

As for the engine depends on your budget and if 600hp is where you wish to stay or later on go for more.

Ooo good question. Those are stock too. We only upgraded the valves in the head. Obviously that’s going to get checked out too but I think it’s savable.

Yeah, also a good point. I’d say I would like to be able to upgrade it in the future.
Budget isn’t really an issue as long as it’s reasonable. I’ll probably drop another $25k+ on it before it’s done?

H beam rods or I beams, I beams for HIGH BOOST. Forged Manley or Weisco pistons, 22mm wrist pins. Stock crank wont like 600 hp so Eagle or Manley crank, maybe knife edged like in my picture. That'll take care of the bottom end along with a good NEW oil pump.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Here is my mod list. The engine is out now and I’ll have to have it checked to see what went wrong and what is still useable.

Greddy Type S BOV
Front mount intercooler w/ 3” pipes
-8AN fuel feed lines
-8AN fuel filter
Fuel pump rewire
AFPR
Windband A/F ratio
HKS 3” down pipe
3” Test pipe
HKS 3” cat back
Mods-Engine
Lightened and balanced crank
ACL bearings
Eagle H beam rods
Wiseco Pistons 20 over
ARP L19 studs
Ferrea Valves 1mm over
Mods-EMS & Logging
ECM link v3
Mods-Handling
Tokico illumina shocks
Drilled and slotted rotors
Parts Wishlist
Bigger fuel pump
FIC 2150 injectors
-8AN fuel return line
Speed density installed
Magnas V3 intake manifold
Upgraded throttle body
Meth cooling spray kit
Valve springs and retainers
Catch can set up
Battery relocation
Roll cage installed (already own)
Fire suppression system
Cams
Cam gears
PTE 6870 turbo
Extra set of wheels with slicks

What I’m looking for advice: specifics on some of the above like cams and things I need to add. Thanks

Good condition stock 6 bolt, some varient of 272 cams, 35r varient, and e85. Not too hard.
Not a good source of e85 around here unfortunately. If my block is bad I may very well switch to the 6 bolt.
272 cams seem to be very popular, yeah

Thanks

H beam rods or I beams, I beams for HIGH BOOST. Forged Manley or Weisco pistons, 22mm wrist pins. Stock crank wont like 600 hp so Eagle or Manley crank, maybe knife edged like in my picture. That'll take care of the bottom end along with a good NEW oil pump.

When I originally had the engine built they went over the crank, lightened it and re-balanced it. But I think you’re right, I should just upgrade it.

Stock cranks have been into the 7s crank isn’t the issue rods and pistons are

I broke a SBC crank....once. I play it safe now. Time is money.

Last edited:
Nope, a stock crank is still a stock crank ROFL I had that butchered crank laying around as an example. Hell even that super nice crank is toast (thrust surface is wore out).
I don't enjoy taking things back apart to do what I should have done to begin with is all. I usually know how each motor is going to be used, which is a big help in a build for the proper parts.

Nope, a stock crank is still a stock crank ROFL I had that butchered crank laying around as an example. Hell even that super nice crank is toast (thrust surface is wore out).
I don't enjoy taking things back apart to do what I should have done to begin with is all. I usually know how each motor is going to be used, which is a big help in a build for the proper parts.
That’s like comparing forged rods to oem rods but hey it’s your build do what you want I wouldn’t preach that information as gospel (oem 4g63 crank not likening 600 horsepower) seeing as there’s probably thousands of examples on here that prove the opposite claim however make sure you get that aftermarket crank balanced they tend to be out of spec but are definitely nice pieces if you can’t find an oem crank within specs

You an engine builder or a Preacher? I've been building engines for 44 years but what do I know? :idontknow:

Everyone has there own idea about cranks. I am using a stock evo 8 crank that has seen 788whp and when motor was refreshed it checked out perfect and was reused again. I personally would choose a good oem uncut crank over a basic eagle or manley, if we are talking billet well then that's a different story those are great cranks. I have used eagle cranks before without issue when a oem one was not easily found. The last eagle 88mm 7 bolt crank we used was fairly out of balance out of the box and the main journals where on the larger side of life. Nothing some .001 extra oil clearance bearings could not solve. This is all things a competent engine builder will check and catch anyway.

You an engine builder or a Preacher? I've been building engines for 44 years but what do I know? :idontknow:
12 years here you sound like someone who hasn’t been in the dsm scene very long even though your a moderator and have been here for how long? New people come to these forums all the time looking for guidance it’s best to be clear about it so others don’t get misguided

You’ve had the car for 10 years and it’s barely ran in that time frame and your coming on here asking for a parts list for 600 horsepower I’m sure a search on here would have probably provided a lot of good information personally start with the suspension first if the car runs learn how to drive it befor completely tearing into it

Wideband I like innovatives stuff
Link v3
1200cc injectors I prefer FIC
Mac boost Solenoid
Your turbo of choice if you going bolt on get a red or black from force performance
BS fabrication turbine housing with a tial waste gate
3” turbo back exhaust
Walbro 450 fuel pump
Vsfr front mount intercooler
An adjustable fuel pressure regulator
A built tranny and an act 2600 if manual
If auto maybe look into the shift kits and a restall torque converter
3 bolt rear end is going to grenade on you after a few serious 1.2-1.4 launches so look into a 4 bolt upgrade
That should get you started for under 6 grand

Last edited:
Good condition stock 6 bolt, some varient of 272 cams, 35r varient, and e85. Not too hard.

This right here!!!!!!

This is what my old Talon had.
BC cams and BC springs.
Bosch intank fuel pump and the rest of the stock fuel system.
3" turboback exhaust
Wisecos/Pauters (although my Galant did make over 700whp almost 10 years ago with a basic Eagle/Wiseco setup)
ECMlink V2
FMIC
Precision GT35R

(FWIW...this here is doable with a stock shortblock)

Look at what it had ------> https://www.dsmregistry.com/details.php?car_id=146&q=diambo4life and it ran mid 10s on 100% street all seasons! It could have gone quicker but the pass that I had a real good 60 I missed a shift.

Last edited:
You’ve had the car for 10 years and it’s barely ran in that time frame and your coming on here asking for a parts list for 600 horsepower I’m sure a search on here would have probably provided a lot of good information
I know it sounds weird, it’s just a fairly unique situation. I had the car fairly well built just out of high school (2006 ish). Then I joined the service for 10 years. The car was parked the entire time minus some drives around the block once a year to keep it going. Knowing I was getting out, I had some more work done to it and it was a train wreck. I’m assessing everything shortly and then it’s back at it.
I really appreciate your list, that seems like a great path.

I know it sounds weird, it’s just a fairly unique situation. I had the car fairly well built just out of high school (2006 ish). Then I joined the service for 10 years. The car was parked the entire time minus some drives around the block once a year to keep it going. Knowing I was getting out, I had some more work done to it and it was a train wreck. I’m assessing everything shortly and then it’s back at it.
I really appreciate your list, that seems like a great path.
Shit happens did 4 and 2 deployments back in 2010-2014 with 1 ceb to sangin my bronco got used and abused by the family so I get it. Overbuilding definitely isn’t a bad thing especially if you have the budget for it if budget is no matter you should look into the “newer” garret G-Series G30-660 isn’t anything to sneeze at and makes awsome power for a 54mm turbo

Can someone help me understand fuel requirements here or direct me to the correct page? I've been searching for a few days now. The best thing I've found so far is:

But I'm not positive those go high enough.

Still looking for around 600hp, but want to build for more. My block looks okay and that has .20 over pistons and H beams in there. Everything is listed above.

But for now my real question is about fuel requirements.
The price is too good to pass up on the PT6766 CEA so I think I'm going to go with that. It will flow 93lbs/min and I think I'll use around 60lbs/min of that right?

Next is injectors; FIC 1650's will support 100lbs/min of air flow so plenty for that turbo.

Next is a pump and that's where I'm a little stumped. PTE doesn't have a compressor map for the 6766 so I'm not sure what PSI I'll have at 60lbs/min. I could guess and I guess that's the best I can do? Does anyone have any idea where I'd be at? If the answer is 25psi then it looks like the Denso 260 would flow 74.30lbs/min. This would be enough for me for now. However, my thought was pick injectors that would outflow the turbo and a pump that would outflow the injectors.

Thanks guys

Can someone help me understand fuel requirements here or direct me to the correct page? I've been searching for a few days now. The best thing I've found so far is:

But I'm not positive those go high enough.

Still looking for around 600hp, but want to build for more. My block looks okay and that has .20 over pistons and H beams in there. Everything is listed above.

But for now my real question is about fuel requirements.
The price is too good to pass up on the PT6766 CEA so I think I'm going to go with that. It will flow 93lbs/min and I think I'll use around 60lbs/min of that right?

Next is injectors; FIC 1650's will support 100lbs/min of air flow so plenty for that turbo.

Next is a pump and that's where I'm a little stumped. PTE doesn't have a compressor map for the 6766 so I'm not sure what PSI I'll have at 60lbs/min. I could guess and I guess that's the best I can do? Does anyone have any idea where I'd be at? If the answer is 25psi then it looks like the Denso 260 would flow 74.30lbs/min. This would be enough for me for now. However, my thought was pick injectors that would outflow the turbo and a pump that would outflow the injectors.

Thanks guys
Just get a walbro 450 pump and call it a day what H beams are you running most people. Usually go I beam rods

Are you planning on running any alternate fuel other than gasoline? That is something to add into your equations, as E85 will require approximately one third more fuel over gas and to reach your HP goals I would think you will probably not be on gas. Just adding that part in so you don't short yourself on pump and injector requirements.

12 years here you sound like someone who hasn’t been in the dsm scene very long even though your a moderator and have been here for how long? New people come to these forums all the time looking for guidance it’s best to be clear about it so others don’t get misguided

You’ve had the car for 10 years and it’s barely ran in that time frame and your coming on here asking for a parts list for 600 horsepower I’m sure a search on here would have probably provided a lot of good information personally start with the suspension first if the car runs learn how to drive it befor completely tearing into it

Wideband I like innovatives stuff
Link v3
1200cc injectors I prefer FIC
Mac boost Solenoid
Your turbo of choice if you going bolt on get a red or black from force performance
BS fabrication turbine housing with a tial waste gate
3” turbo back exhaust
Walbro 450 fuel pump
Vsfr front mount intercooler
An adjustable fuel pressure regulator
A built tranny and an act 2600 if manual
If auto maybe look into the shift kits and a restall torque converter
3 bolt rear end is going to grenade on you after a few serious 1.2-1.4 launches so look into a 4 bolt upgrade
That should get you started for under 6 grand

Cool down man. You have no idea why he's had the car for 10 years. Learn how to drive it? Are you serious with that statement?
The simple fact is he's ready to start the build yet you're trying to tear into two people at the same time unnecessarily with an 80 post count over 6 years.
Your recommended parts list could be ripped apart as well. Innovate, Walbro, ACT. Many would view your brand recommendations as misguided. The '95 rear diff swap might also warrant revision...

Lots of 500-700hp threads, I will agree with. After only so many, it's all recycled information at least in terms of what parts are still available today.

He's got your card there, though, Marty LOL

Last edited:
@1990TSIAWDTALON , as far as I know I can't find a good source of E85 around here so I'll be on 91 pump. The airport will sell fuel however, to keep it simpler I'm just going to stick to pump.

@curt-s , I appropriate but I didn't take any offense. I knew someone would say something about how long I've been a member here and my username doesn't do me any favors haha
But yeah, I'm finally back in the state where the car lives and ready to get back into it. It has sat for many years with minimal work done.

Back to the fuel pump. I can just get the Walbro 450 and be done but I have 2 issues with that. One is I'm trying to learn and from what I've seen, that pump won't flow enough.
Is my logic correct in that you should pick a HP, figure the flow needed, pick the turbo, and then pick injectors that would outflow the turbo and a pump that would outflow the injectors? If that's the case, I still don't know how much PSI that 6766 will be at if flowing 60lbs/min. Any ideas there?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back