The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

6 boltshortblock clearances

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haddixjl

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 27, 2006
orangevale, California
I have a 6 bolt short block that I am putting back together, its started out as a slow boy racing shortblock with manley pistons and stock rods. Low compression in number 2 and 4 with no miles really. I pulled the motor took to the machine shop and they measured it up said it was fine and put a fresh hone on it, cleaned the block and such. So I ordered new rings from manley got them here and was checking to see how they are clearance wise. Top ring is about .010 and the second ring also. Spec is .0055 for the top and .0035 for the second. So what should I do at this point? Find another 6 bolt block and bore it out? I have a parts car with a 7 bolt crank in it. Pull it out and get it machined up for the pistons and put my rotating assembly in it? or find another 6 bolt and get it bored out?

A nice number for ring gaps under 600hp is .020 top and .022 on bottom.

yep I just got off the phone with manley, I was looking at it wrong.
Thanks for taking the time to get back with me. Seems like one thing after another trying to put it back together. So hopefully this thing will be up and running in a few weeks.
According to the paper top ring gap should be about .019 and second is .012. Is that to tight for the 2nd ring? HP will only be 350 AWHP at the most for this motor and that may be a long while till eveything plays out.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back