The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

2G 6 Bolt Swapped 2g Idle Problem, sounds like it's cammed

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brother Ed

Probationary Member
Apr 2, 2022
Kihei, Hawaii
I bought a 2g a few months ago, JDM 6 bolt swapped 1995 2g GSX that has a weird idle. IT SOUNDS LIKE IT IS CAMMED, but it's not, I'm pretty sure it's stock cams, (exhaust cam stamped H with 3 dots).

Compression checks out. If I rev it out to around 1200 it clears up. The car runs fine under WOT, it's just the idle that bugs me, sounds like a damn rotary.

Anyways, it is a built bottom end, Ross pistons, and eagle rods. Has 750 RC injectors, stock MAF, 1g black top CAS, 1g intake manifold, 16g turbo, and full bolt-on (I, H, E).

I've been digging into the car these past months, and I know that the injectors are wired inverted at the ECU (Stock 95 non-EPROM). It is also running a SAFC.

So far I've replaced the 1g black top CAS, ignition coil, ignition wires, and spark plugs, cleaned up the wiring, and done the timing belt (triple-checked timing marks, balance shafts are deleted).

Also, another weird thing, when I shot the ignition timing, I can never get to 5 degrees base timing, the car would stall or run really bad. It's set where the mark is not even close to the guide on the timing cover, its below all the numbers. I don't know if that's super retarded or super-advanced, but it runs well in WOT like that. I just want to figure out this idle issue.

I've tested the wires on the PTU and found that wire #7 has a flickering light with a logic probe similar to the cutting out of the timing light. I believe this is the signal wire from the ECU, pin 10 (BLK/BLU). I'm thinking it's PCM or the harness is messed up from the previous owner but I'd like some input from some of you guys who have done this swap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back