The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

6 bolt swap into 95 gst

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theanimalgst

Probationary Member
Jan 14, 2013
guilford, Connecticut
Hey guys im not to sure im building a 6 bolt motor for my buddy and im not sure whats needs to be done in order to drop this motor in his car he wants to use his head from his seven bolt witch i believe is fine. But im not sure what other modifications have to be done to install this motor. If someone could give me a list on what needs to be done to make this work please let me know thanks guys.

There are a lot of threads on this (my unhelpful comment for you) but here is the list:

For the 2g head
-2g head studs needs to be drilled out to 12 mm or 13 mm (1/2 inch)
-1g CAS rewired (magnusmotorsports.com androadraceengineering.com)
-Keep 2g thermostat housing
-keep 2g intake manifold
-keep 2g exhaust manifold

for the 1g block:
-Keep 2g water pipe
-Use 1g water pump
-Use 1g tensioner pulley
-Use 1g hydraulic tensioner
-use 2g Motor mount (grind the excess so you can install the water pump, see magnus walkthrough).
-use 1g front case/oil pump
-use 1g oil filter housing
-use 1g idle pulley for timing belt
-use 6 bolt flywheel (either FWD or AWD for your application).
-use 2g transmission/starter plate.
-use 2g knock sensor
-use 2g A/C bracket (you will need it to bolt your CV shaft into, if you have removed your A/C compressor you still want this bracket on).
-use 1g timing belt cover, you will have to trim it to fit over the motor mount.

Timing belts are the same for 90-99.

I may have missed something but that should be a good start up list.

i appreciate it i looked at the other threads but there not exsactly what im looking for i guess what im looking for is what you described but thats basically all i need in order to put it in?

Off topic but is there a reason someone would install a 6 bolt in a 2g? I have read some say the 7 bolt is a better engine and some say the 6 bolt is better Im just wondering cause I am going to start building a engine and want to know what is the better option.

The 7 bolt has been known to crankwalk. The six bolt has stronger rods, a bit lower compression (takes more boost) they have the same potential but the six bolt have a much more solid rep.

That should be everything, use the original 2g alternator bracket (the one that bolts into the water pump), I forgot that. If your friend is not on a budget, it might be nice to add higher compression ratio pistons. I will do this when I put a new block in, but in the meantime 7.8:1 (not too bad, but I feel the difference with low-end torque and overall RPM's while driving).

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back