The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

6 bolt swap into 95 gst

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattmeek_GST

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 25, 2004
Shreveport, Louisiana
I have 95 GST. The only thing I got so far is a greddy type s BOV, love it, and a K&N air filter,the $110 one. I had Slowboy build me a 6 bolt engine. pretty much stock. I guess you could say. Has ARP studs,
ACT Flywheel, urethane mounts, blah blah. getting it installed soon by some mechanic that works at the mitsu dealer here. I hope he does it right. Its a turnkey motor. Oh yeah and im having an ACT 2600 clutch installed too. Anyway, Im wondering what I should look at doing next.
Boost controller?, Exhaust?, What do you guys suggest? My goal is to get close to 400hp. I would like to have a 50 trim when its all said and done. I have a long way to go i know. I have to many questions and Im new. Just wanna learn as much as possible.

The tuning guide is a good base on what steps to take on how to mod your car.

Mattmeek,
Is that 6 bolt engine you got a 2g engine or 1g engine? (yes i'm new, and please don't flame broil my ass) I have a 97 gst and i'm also looking to take it to 400 WHP and i don't want to get it there and have my crank walk on me. I've heard that the 6-bolt 1g engine is an instance cure for that... if any1 can pitch in their 2 cents, i'd appreciate it too.

1G = 6 bolt. (Well up to mid '94 I believe.) And 2G = 7bolt.

Don't let crankwalk scare you away from building a 7 bolt. It happens, but not enough to stop many others from having 400+ hp 7bolts. If your scared of it that much, don't mod your car!! :D

Luckily you have a 95 which most likely means you have an Eprom ECU. You should really consider getting DSMlink (which requires a 95 ecu) Reasons for considering this as your next mod is that you can turn off the random misfire check in the ECU which is a common problem with a 6-bolt swap. The link also allows you to diagnose any other bugs that may pop up. Yes the potentiometer mod works, but can advance timing to a potentially dangerous level. Also since you are planning to heavily mod your car in the future, DSMlink is a great tuning aid.

7bolt walks
6bolt walks

Every engine can walk if it has a crank

People either get it or thy don't. How many miles do you have on your car? After so many miles your chances of walking fall into the "probly NOT" catagory.

I'm not saying that I want a 100% cure to crank walk(though i wish it was possible)... but my problem is that i'm shipping my car half-way across the world from here after i'm done modding it. That's why i am asking of a way to better my chances of not getting crankwalk (and don't say it's based on luck, cuz if it is, i'm doomed!) I don't know if midnght is asking about my mileage, but just in case, it's at 60K. I keep hearing that with a 6bolt swap would reduce the chances of crank walk... so what's up with that?

Originally posted by Batoott
1. I don't know if midnght is asking about my mileage, but just in case, it's at 60K.

2. (A)I keep hearing that with a 6bolt swap would reduce the chances of crank walk... (B)so what's up with that?

1. The higher the mileage the less chance you have to get crankwalk ever. Some say 80k is probly a good number to feel safe. I am sure people will say this and that, but the answer is simple. Change it out if it makes you sleep at night. Leave it alone if you are not paranoid. MANY stock 7bolt bottom ends have seen rebuilds and upgrades and produced great numbers. Alot change over for a rebuild, simply to feel better and the fact that an engine rebuild is an engine rebuild, why not just do it with a 6 bolt and feel better. If/when I rebuild mine it will be a 6bolt. But I won't just replace a completely good engine block cause I am worried about something that isn't happening at that point in time.

2A. That is the correct answer. It is not a cure, just a way of reducing your chances. There are people on this website that have had their 6bolts walk. It can happen to any block at anytime.

2B. What's up with that is that mitsu got some bad shit for there engines and put it together messy and we are the ones that have to deal with their MASSIVE assclown mistake!! They do not claim responsiblity for it but have been swapping 'some' bad engines out for newer 7bolt engines. I think dave99gst got a new 7bolt for his crankwalk. I am not positive, but ask him about it he would know more than I.

:thumb:

SIDEBAR: There is such thing as a 7bolt 1g, but not a 6bolt 2g from the factory. Not all that often, but it is there.

Originally posted by fish3rboi
1G = 6 bolt. (Well up to mid '94 I believe.) And 2G = 7bolt.

'92 made the switch.

original poster: why in all hell did you build a motor for a 50 trim?

I didnt get a 6 bolt built for a 50 trim, LOL.I would like to have a 50 trim someday. I got the engine built because i have crankwalk, and didnt want to gamble with my money getting another 7 bolt. I talked with guys
at magnusmotorsports, RRE, dsmparts, and slowboy about it. They said go 6 bolt. So I got SB to build me one. Still waiting for the engine to arrive, cant wait. Hope all goes well. I let anyone know how it went when its complete. If anyone cares to know.

your going to get RM, your going to get RM, your going to get RM, and the mitsu tech is going to bite your ass....hes not going to know how to fix it, and your going to have to keep going back to himm...la la lallla

dsmlink is what you need, if you dont already have it

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back