The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

6 bolt swap into 2g questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabbi

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 15, 2004
Muskegon, Michigan
tried searching but couldnt find the info.....

What will i need swapping a 92 4g63 turbo motor into my 2g talon?

I will be buying a rebuilt longblock, So it has no intake or manifold,turbo,etc etc

will the following parts from my 2G 7bolt fit on the 1g 6bolt???

intake manifold
exaust manifold
turbo
crank pulley
alternator
power steering
fuel rail & injectors
valve cover

also my car is an automatic, Will i need a 1G torque converter?

and the one million dollar question.......Should i say #### it and spend a little extra for a rebuilt 7 bolt ??

Rabbi said:
Intake manifold
exaust manifold
turbo
crank pulley
alternator
power steering
fuel rail & injectors
valve cover

also my car is an automatic, Will i need a 1G torque converter?

and the one million dollar question.......Should i say #### it and spend a little extra for a rebuilt 7 bolt ??

You can use your intake mani but the ports aren't matched you can get a 1g cheap online check the classifieds I have one to if your interested. You want to use your exhaust manifold,turbo,alternator,crank pulley,power steering, fuel rail, injectors, valve cover. You will need a 6bolt oil pan though I see they don't ship with them. Everything is bolt on only thing is required is rewiring the CAS + CAM sensor and trimming a motor mount.

This is assuming a 2G talon talon. Also with an auto you need a Kiggy Kit from IPT to swap a 6 bolt in.

thanks for the info really helps!

anyways what is all this crap about the 1g into a 2g car swap?

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/2...torinstall.htm

i dont have to do that do i??

will my auto tranny bolt right up to the 6 bolt without a problem with that kit you mension? Do you have a link to that website?

Thanks a ton man

that link doesn't work.

you also need to think about the potential problems with the ecu/wiring harness of the 2g with the 1g motor. there's lots of info on how to get the CAS wired up "correctly", but there is a potential to run into a p0300 random cylinder misfire code (i'm waiting for DSM link to get rid of mine). my car seems to run in limp dick mode when it happens. there is also a mod with potentiometer to cancel out one of the variables that must be set before the ecu checks for random misfires (it changes what the ecu reads for barometric pressure)...although i'm not sure about the reliability of the mod. search for "pot mod" and i'm sure there will be results with that.

you can also use the 2g TB elbow and port/gasket match it to the 1g TB. the 2g o2 housing can be ported as well if you have it off.

good luck
alex

dave99gst said:
This is a dangerous mod to do.

I think this is the link he was refering to http://roadraceengineering.com/2g6boltmotorinstall.htm

and no - you dont have to do this with the 1g CAS option.

I have the POT MOD done to my car with no problems what so ever and no RM its just one of those things I think it works for some and some it doesn't. We did the mod and retuned my car accordingly for it. It was a bit rich after doing the mod.

There really isn't anything major for swapping in a 6bolt engine. 4 Wires to cut and solder and move a few ECU pins around its prety simple.

This is the method I used http://www.roadraceengineering.com/1gcasin2g95-96M2.htm other then that << all you are doing is trimming a motor mount. If its an auto you need a kiggy Kit which is sold by IPT a site sponsor here search the links you should find it easily I don't know the site off hand.

what about my auto tranny? Whats the kit i will need for it? How will a 7 bolt torque converter bolt to a 6 bolt plate?

i called my local mitsubishi dealership and the guy down there told me the waterpump from the olderstyle engine (6bolt) would not fit the engine bay of my 95 talon without modification, is this true?

Rabbi said:
i called my local mitsubishi dealership and the guy down there told me the waterpump from the olderstyle engine (6bolt) would not fit the engine bay of my 95 talon without modification, is this true?

Both water pumps stick out from the block the same distance. It will fit just fine, he is wrong.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back