The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

6 bolt NA pistons vs. Turbo pistons

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onefast2gdsm

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 30, 2010
millersburg, Pennsylvania
Are the 6 bolt non turbo pistons design and material differ from the turbo pistons? If so, what is different between the two. I picked up a turbo block with non turbo pistons, and was wondering if I would even be able to use it. I didn't realize it had non turbo pistons when I picked it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Rings are higher up on the N/A piston and the compression is more. 7.8:1 turbo and 9.0:1 N/A. The N/A ones under boost are less forgiving.

If the na pistons are helped with oil squirters under boost, will it make any difference? I mean people are running 9.1 compression with aftermarket (yes I know that's a bad comparison) and they hold up fine, so why wouldn't these? Basically what I'm trying to figure out is are they made of a weaker material

If the na pistons are helped with oil squirters under boost, will it make any difference? I mean people are running 9.1 compression with aftermarket (yes I know that's a bad comparison) and they hold up fine, so why wouldn't these? Basically what I'm trying to figure out is are they made of a weaker material

They are made if a weaker material as the other 9:1 pistons that you are seeing. They are however the same material as the stock turbo pistons which is cast aluminum. Oil squirters won't make much of a difference with these pistons. The problem with the stock an pistons is that the ring land is so high on the piston which makes it easier to damage in the event of detonation. In a perfectly tuned engine with no detonation present you could probably make 500 + horsepower, but in the real world that isn't likely as you will see a fair amount while tuning. Basically the stock na pistons are as strong as the turbo pistons in a way, but less durable in the event of detonation or high cylinder temps.

Commonly the rings are different between NA and turbo, also ring gaps are smaller on NA builds.

Personally, with how inexpensive the stock replacement piston and ring kits are, I would pull out the the NA pistons and swap out to the turbo pistons.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back