The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

6 bolt internals in a 7 bolt block

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v8s_are_slow

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 30, 2002
Panama City, Florida
my buddy needs new internals in his 7 bolt (drove it around too long with a bad headgasket and burned up the bearings). anyway, i have a spare 6 bolt block layin around and was gonna give him the internals so he can get his motor rebuilt again for cheap. i'm using the 6 bolt block for my own built motor and won't need those internals so i don't need that stuff.

anyone know 1st hand if it'd work? dunno why it wouldn't since they're essentially the same motor. but wanna be sure. giving him my crank and rods but suggested he get some new 2g pistons instead of using the old 1g pistons in this motor thus lowering his compression. thanks for any info.

scott

Putting in 2G pistons wil raise the compression, not lower it. W/ 6 bolt rods on 7 bolt pisons, you need to have the rods machined out 1mm in order to fit the pistons.

yeah, i know about that. but think ya misunderstand. he has a 2g car with bad internals. i'm giving him my 1g internals (6 bolt) to throw into his 2g (7 bolt). if he used the 1g pistons, he'd be lowering the compression so i'm advising him to keep the 2g pistons in it. would the 6 bolt crank swap over okay to a 7 bolt motor though?

no,the crank main journals are smaller.you could have it machined,but that would cost more than just getting a 6 bolt swap.

The journals are narrower in width, so you would have to much side float with the 7 bolt rods

wonder how people get away with throwing on 6 bolt rods then. just curious....thanks for the info though.

The question was fitting a 7 bolt rod on a 6 bolt crank. by memory the 6 bolt rod is something like 1.117 wide on the big end and the 7 bolt is 1.038. i think?

blue1 said:
The question was fitting a 7 bolt rod on a 6 bolt crank. by memory the 6 bolt rod is something like 1.117 wide on the big end and the 7 bolt is 1.038. i think?
Damn good memory. Yeah I did some checking and found that the big end's thickness is 1.115 on a 6-bolt and it is 1.038 on a 7-bolt. The bore is the same on each though.....

Being that they have the same bore size, will the small difference in thickness really make it so they will not work?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back