The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

6 bolt head 7 bolt block. timing differance??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

You mean the head bolts? Interesting, normally air blowing out of the oil cap hole is from excessive crankcase pressure due to poorly sealing rings or bad PCV valve.

Perhaps others will chime in here with a better idea, but what I would do -- if you do in fact mean the head bolts -- is pull one of the head bolts out that seemed to have air coming from it and measure its length. If the bolt shank exceeds 99.4mm then it is a failed part and could very well be a contributing factor to your problem. If it is under 99.4mm, reinstall it according to the same torque procedure above and check the other suspects one at a time. Although it sounds like you'll end up having to pull the head anyway, doing the one-by-one method should keep your head gasket seal in the small chance this isn't the issue.

It just seems more likely that you would be mixing or leaking coolant and oil if the head was lifting, not just losing compression especially through the head bolt holes.

Last edited:
i thought i would see oil or coolant too but i cant find any sign of either. im kinda stumped.

i just took the head off and 2 of the valves are not seated properly. so im swaping valves and hoping for the best, anyone know how to get the retainers back on with a a spring compressor?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back