The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

6 bolt head 7 bolt block cooling questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tay97gst

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 20, 2011
Plaistow, New_Hampshire
I'm going to try and explain this as simply as possible but bear with me as there is a lot of information I'm trying to understand.
So I'm getting closer to buttoning up the last components of my build and started putting all the parts onto my built engine. The engine is a 6 bolt head on a 7 bolt block, with what appears to be the 90' cooling components. Also, the engine currently has an evo 3 OFH set up but I have a spare 7 bolt OFH which I want to use so that I dont have to buy an external oil cooler setup(I've already spent plenty of money LOL) My concern is with the cooling setup since the water pipe was designed for an external oil cooler since its from a 90.
This is my spare 7 bolt where I drew colors to the coolant lines running to it. The red line looks like it will just directly swap over to the 6/7 bolt combo but the green line makes me think I cant do it.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

But, can I use this line coming from the water pipe on the 90 and run it to the 7 bolt OFH where the other green line was in the first pic? If it matters the turbo I'm running is only oil cooled so I don't need ant coolant lines running to the turbo.

Somewhat related to this is an issue i'm having with clearance with my hx35. I mocked up the setup to the block and found that it was hitting the banjo bolt on the block which is running to the water neck. Is this something I can block off since I'm running an oil cooled turbo?

Any info or links to threads on the 6 bolt head 7 bolt block combo or even informative threads on cooling diagrams would be much appreciated, this is the last obstacle I'm trying to understand so I can get the engine in.

Since you want to use the water cooled OFH, either of the ports from the thermostat housing you've pointed out will work as the feed (red line). Since you are not running coolant to your turbo, the other port on the thermostat housing needs to be blocked/capped.

Using the original turbo coolant return for the oil cooler coolant return will work fine so long as you make a good seal. I can't promise how well using a cut original turbo coolant return line will hold up. In any case, I'd be interested to see how you end up doing this.

The banjo block in the bolt can be removed as well as the joint that threads into the block. Use an OFH plug to fill the hole that remains in the block for a flush fit. See: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/437674-turbo-coolant-line-block.html and http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/385767-2g-block-coolant-line.html. Other part numbers for a 3/8 BSPT plug are MD040338 and MD145018 if you don't simply use one from your spare OFH.

Last edited:
If that oil cooler you are trying to use came off a blown engine, I would think twice about that. The coolers act like a filter, and will trap metal from the blown engine....FYI.

Edit: I am referring to the water/oil sandwich coolers. They have a mesh in them, and IMPOSSIBLE to get clean.

Since you want to use the water cooled OFH, either of the ports from the thermostat housing you've pointed out will work as the feed (red line). Since you are not running coolant to your turbo, the other port on the OFH needs to be blocked/capped.

Using the original turbo coolant return for the oil cooler coolant return will work fine so long as you make a good seal. I can't promise how well using a cut original turbo coolant return line will hold up. In any case, I'd be interested to see how you end up doing this.

The banjo block in the bolt can be removed as well as the joint that threads into the block. Use an OFH plug to fill the hole that remains in the block for a flush fit. See: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/437674-turbo-coolant-line-block.html and http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/385767-2g-block-coolant-line.html. Other part numbers for a 3/8 BSPT plug are MD040338 and MD145018 if you don't simply use one from your spare OFH.

Ok thank you for confirming everything. When I actually get all the lines run and it's time to fire up the engine I will post a picture of the setup back here for validation/ in case anyone else tries to do this since there isn't much info regarding 6 bolt heads on 7 bolt blocks. I figured you were on vacation, figures I ask this question as soon as you left LOL But thank you very much.

If that oil cooler you are trying to use came off a blown engine, I would think twice about that. The coolers act like a filter, and will trap metal from the blown engine....FYI.

Edit: I am referring to the water/oil sandwich coolers. They have a mesh in them, and IMPOSSIBLE to get clean.

The engine it came off was pulled because of bent valves from a timing mishap (or so I'm told :pray: ) So I think I'll be ok as far as that goes, but thanks for pointing that out, that would indeed suck :nono:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back