The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScrubyMcBubble

Probationary Member
Apr 25, 2013
Winnipeg, MB_Canada
I'll start with the question: The leak is small and isolated to Cyl 1, since it is at the end of the motor is it worth trying to tighten the head on that side of the motor? Ive never opened up my motor so im unfamiliar with how accessible the head bolts are or if i might as well do the gasket and have the head reconditioned or flattened.

It all started with a bad waterpump which caused the engine to overheat a few times before diagnosed and replaced.
I was fairly certain i had a gasket leak when my reservoir kept overflowing on me with multiple new caps but i wanted to prove with certainty. After inconclusive tests with Block tester fluid and compression tests i finally found the leak with a leakdown test (named for good reason!). My compression was solid within 158 -160 psi across all 4 cyl. Not convinced i tried the block tester fluid 3 times on the car but it always came back inconclusive steering me further away on the gasket theory. Finally on my leakdown test which also performed very well at 4-6% leakage i was able to get my rad fluid to move/bubble on cylinder 1 at 50psi with only ~7% leakage.

Short video attached
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Im guessing with such a small difference in pressure on the leakdown test that the leak is small/slow which is why my coolant seems fine until the cars been running for over 20 minutes. Also likely why i never detected the gases in the coolant on my 3-5min block fluid tests as the bubbles hadn't risen to the surface yet and the slowly rising coolant gave off the appearance of coolant expansion from heat.

Last edited:
You definitely need to do a head gasket job and resurface the head. You most likely warped it since you let it overheated several times. Tightening down the head bolts isn't going to do anything but stretch them.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back