The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

6 bolt engine questions, need help, kinda long post

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4whlbst

20+ Year Contributor
Mar 25, 2003
Alta Loma, California
So, I am in the process of beginning my 6 bolt block build up as my car is beginning to experience c/w. I just bought a block off a guy on ebay that claimed it was a 1g turbo 6 bolt, only came with block, crank, rods, pistons, and front cover. So when I got it in the mail, I took it over to the machine shop to get it cleaned up and ready for my project and noticed that it has n/t pistons in it, its a n/t 6 bolt block!:mad: Now heres where my questions lies, is there a difference between a 1g turbo and n/t 6 bolt block besides the pistons? I am building the block for a eagle 2.4L stroker kit and will be replacing the crank, rods, pistons, and bearings with new ones from eagle, so all I really need is the core block. I just wanted to make sure if anyone knows whether the block on the n/t and the turbo block differ at all, i.e. journal size, bore, construction, etc? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated as I will be starting work on it this week and I dont want to start machining for parts that will not fit in my block. As well, if it is an incorrect block for what I want to do, does anyone have one for sale, or know where I can get a 6 bolt, turbo block from cheap? Sorry for the extra long post, and thanks in advance to anyone with answers.:thumb:

As far as I know the blocks are identical except for the fact the n/t block doesnt have oil squirters for the pistons, this is all the info I can give hopefully some one else can help you further. If not purchase a haynes manual the give all the bore and journal sizes for n/t and turbo engines,if i had mine with me i could help you out, good luck with your project!!

The non turbo block and the turbo block are the same minus the oil squirters. Most people get rid of the oil quirters when building up a turbo block so they aren't needed.

YEs according to my Haynes manual they are identical in all dimensions, with the exception of the oil squirters.They are only there to cool the pistons, but if you are going to use forged pistons don't worry about it.The block that you have is fine for the project that you want, and with out the oil squirters there is no oil pressure loss.

So even on the 6 bolt block I do not want to run the oil piston squirters? I thought that only on the 7 bolt block do you not want to run the squirters because it is thought to contribute to oil press loss. I ask because, get this, the block came with n/t pistons in it but it also has oilpiston squirters, weird huh? So should I assume that it is a turbo block and somebody along the way put in n/t pistons? I will run forged pistons in it, but do you think that the squirters are unnecessary because I would think it could only help. I will have the b/s removed so that alone should help keep oil press where I want it. Btw, thanks for the info on the blocks.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back