The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

6 bolt bearing question (also feedback on rest of motor)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve-o_95_GST

Supporting Member
Feb 29, 2004
Ft Lauderdale, Florida
I did some searching around but I would like some imput from the advanced crowd with long lasting rebuilt motors. I am in the process of rebuilding a 6 bolt after my 7 bolt died at the hand of a 2600 and a poor clutch rod adjustment, and im trying to decide on what bearings to go with. I had ACL in my 7 bolt and they did great until i stuck that clutch in, the rest of the bearings came out good, but my machineist is reccomending clevites. He doesnt normally do imports but I know how good of a job he does on his work but I just need feedback from the experienced rebuilders. Aslo could you tell me if I picked good parts to build my block with?

My goal for this motor is 350 hp this summer on a 16g on 93 octane and next year 400-450 with a 50 trim and 93 octane

Ross 8.5:1 pistons .20 over
Big 1g rods
Unground 6 bolt crank, polished
ARP main studs, head studs, and rod bolts
Clevite 77 engine bearings?
Fel-Pro gaskets (also reccomended by machinest)
New OEM t-bet parts
New OEM Oil pump and seals
New OEM rear main seal and plate

-Steve

steve-o_95_GST said:
I did some searching around but I would like some imput from the advanced crowd with long lasting rebuilt motors. I am in the process of rebuilding a 6 bolt after my 7 bolt died at the hand of a 2600 and a poor clutch rod adjustment, and im trying to decide on what bearings to go with. I had ACL in my 7 bolt and they did great until i stuck that clutch in, the rest of the bearings came out good, but my machineist is reccomending clevites. He doesnt normally do imports but I know how good of a job he does on his work but I just need feedback from the experienced rebuilders. Aslo could you tell me if I picked good parts to build my block with?

My goal for this motor is 350 hp this summer on a 16g on 93 octane and next year 400-450 with a 50 trim and 93 octane

Ross 8.5:1 pistons .20 over
Big 1g rods
Unground 6 bolt crank, polished
ARP main studs, head studs, and rod bolts
Clevite 77 engine bearings?
Fel-Pro gaskets (also reccomended by machinest)
New OEM t-bet parts
New OEM Oil pump and seals
New OEM rear main seal and plate

-Steve

Your not using a felpro head gasket are you? Also I would suggest ACL bearings but Clevites are good to. And while you have things apart why dont you throw in some eagle rods, so you dont have to do it later down the road.....

-nick-

I recently did some research into bearings, ACL seems to be popular with ### cars, clevite77 makes great bearings (they did have a bad time in the late 70's early 80's) King bearings are also very reliable they make bearings for formula1 cars and NASCAR cars.
I'm in the process of rebuilding my 6 bolt and I'm using clevite77 bearings. I did have a hard time finding clevite's for my motor. The local suppliers (New Jersey) said they couldn't get the bearings I wanted. I did find them online. (ebay) here's the guys ebay ID mpcentral. Good luck with your project.

Amazin' Wasian said:
Your not using a felpro head gasket are you? Also I would suggest ACL bearings but Clevites are good to. And while you have things apart why dont you throw in some eagle rods, so you dont have to do it later down the road.....

-nick-

Im not going to be using the fel-pro head gasket, I have a Mitsu MLS head gasket that im going to use with arp head studs. I thought about going with the acl bearings too, on my 7 bolt, it looked like the acl had a larger thrust bearing surface that the clevites. I would go with eagle rods, but my budget is pretty limited. I had to sell the fwd just to start on the 6 bolt. :mad: :cry: Since ive seen good things about both bearings ill go with what ever is available. But other than the eagle rods, does the engine look solid enough to reach my 400 hp goal?

-Steve

steve-o_95_GST said:
Im not going to be using the fel-pro head gasket, I have a Mitsu MLS head gasket that im going to use with arp head studs. I thought about going with the acl bearings too, on my 7 bolt, it looked like the acl had a larger thrust bearing surface that the clevites. I would go with eagle rods, but my budget is pretty limited. I had to sell the fwd just to start on the 6 bolt. :mad: :cry: Since ive seen good things about both bearings ill go with what ever is available. But other than the eagle rods, does the engine look solid enough to reach my 400 hp goal?

-Steve

It should definatley be able to hit 400 Hp, Ive seen 400HP on stock internals so im sure you will be good.

-nick-

ARP rod bolts are a good idea. Fel Pro head gasket is too but only if it is the MLS one. The Mitsu MLS is very good too.
Bearings? Sometimes you have to use two different manufacturers to fit your application.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back