The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

6-Bolt Baffle Plate

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonster

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 9, 2005
Carmel, Indiana
Does is exist? Do you need it in the 6-bolt swap? I ask because I threw away my beat up 7-bolt baffle plate (hit by a rod). :confused:

The 6-bolts do not have windage trays in the oil pan. If you want, there are many different places to pick up a windage tray/crank scraper, but they are not needed.

are they needed for a 7 bolt? I just did a engine swap on my car, went from 7 bolt to 7 bolt, and my oil pan baffle doenst fit on right, and the oil pan doesnt drop in correctly....

starsthensun said:
are they needed for a 7 bolt? I just did a engine swap on my car, went from 7 bolt to 7 bolt, and my oil pan baffle doenst fit on right, and the oil pan doesnt drop in correctly....

Very good idea to use one. Data from Nismo indicates having a girdle like that on the 7 bolt Mitsubishi engine in place can lower engine output by as much as 5% due to windage losses. Trays are an attempt to control this.

Kevin Johnson said:
Very good idea to use one. Data from Nismo indicates having a girdle like that on the 7 bolt Mitsubishi engine in place can lower engine output by as much as 5% due to windage losses. Trays are an attempt to control this.

Any sources on this? I am finding that one really hard to swallow. A girdle should not impact power in any way, unless it was installed incorrectly. :D The only thing a girdle should be doing is adding strength to the assembly.

Matt.

Enraged78 said:
Any sources on this? I am finding that one really hard to swallow. A girdle should not impact power in any way, unless it was installed incorrectly. :D The only thing a girdle should be doing is adding strength to the assembly.

Matt.

Word of mouth from Paul St. Clair of Nismo to another Nissan enthusiast. The modifying of KA24 girdles is pretty commonplace. Might be one of those power secrets just emerging after several years time.

The girdle is impacting power by doing odd things to the windage flow.

Girdles are great as well as windage trays. Use windage trays a lot in drag motors as well as sprint car motors that aren't dry sump. It has kind of been one of those things that won't save a motor from going but it will help keep everything happy and running right. Windage trays are great to keep oil from aireating and getting foamy with bubble's. That will cause bearings wear spots where oil didn't come out of the galley but instead air did. I prefer to use them if I can but it's not a need to have thing.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back