The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

5th Gear Trouble

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokeyg1045

Probationary Member
Jul 11, 2009
Marion, North_Carolina
Hey i am having a problem with my 96 gs when selecting 5th gear it will stay in gear if you press the gas once but if you let off of it and press again it will pop out of gear...happens even more at highway speed 55+ 3k rpm i have been to 3 other forums trying to solve this problem and the only solution i have got is trade it in, and i'm not looking to do that. it has a short throw shifter in it that the guy before me put in and he also told me that the tranny is out of a 97 talon any ideas?

Bent shift fork or damaged synchronizer.

Transmission shop could repair it, or more cheaply, grab another transmission from the junkyard or classifieds.

You can take a shot at changing the fluid. Its a shot, but I have seen it solve this problem before.

MB

what about adjusting the shift linkage could that be a possibility and if so how do i adjust it?

It's the synchro. I had the same issues after a clutch replacement. My reverse gear popped out all the time and I put in a new set of synchros and it solved the issue.

This can also happen with bad trans mounts. When you push on the gas it will pull your shifter down and when you let off the gas it will pull your shifter forward. I've had this problem and everyone kept telling me I needed a new transmission and the mounts were the problem, engine torque was pulling on shifter cable and pulling it out of gear. Also make sure all of your shifter and tranny bushing are in good shape and that you have enough tranny fluid in the tranny, which is kind of a given, but hey, have seen it a million times. Someone thinks they have a tranny going out, but there is no fluid in it or it just needs changed.

-DsMgIrL078

It's the synchro. I had the same issues after a clutch replacement. My reverse gear popped out all the time and I put in a new set of synchros and it solved the issue.

Reverse doesn't have a syncro.

I'm having this same exact issue. Just started after doing a turbo swap but I know that has nothing to do with it. I have a feeling mine is a mount. Glad I found this thread. Guess I'll need to be checking it out. I'll post back my results when I find it. It all depends on how I hit the gas as to if it pops out or not. Tranny shifts perfect in every gear though.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back