The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

5th gear problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mostapasta

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 13, 2004
N/A, Michigan
Recently my car has been popping out of 5th gear when I'm not accelerating and it seems to pop out a lot more when I hit a bump too. This only happens in 5th gear and it doesnt grind at all either, just pops out. Now I've searched around on my problem and I come to the conclusion that it could be one of three things from what I've read, 5th gear syncro, messed up clutch fork, or that one loose bolt. Now I don't know that much on transmissions and I was hoping someone could give me a more direct answer on what it could be or just some useful information.

Around how much would it cost just to have a new 5th gear syncro put in? (I'd take out the transmission if that matters)

my car just started doing the same thing, it also feels like it isnt engaging into gear as well as it used to... do you experience the same problem?? Any other tranny techs know if its the synchro or as easy as tightening the bolt?

rowlex said:
my car just started doing the same thing, it also feels like it isnt engaging into gear as well as it used to... do you experience the same problem?? Any other tranny techs know if its the synchro or as easy as tightening the bolt?

GOT THE SAME PROBLEM BRO...YOU ARE NOT ALONE AT ALL... :thumb:

SEND IT TO SHEPPARD! 1. hes got the fastest dsm 2. hes the shit in dsm transmissions 3. hes the coolest guy and will even answer his own phone to answer your question. plus the basic rebuild (which is good for major hp) is only about 1g

wannaspoolRS said:
GOT THE SAME PROBLEM BRO...YOU ARE NOT ALONE AT ALL... :thumb:

Sucks ass huh.. I figured out what the problem on mine was...LOL Im an idiot.. a few days ago I painted my intercooler piping; I have an FMIC with short route piping. I reinstalled it in such a way that the shift linkage started hitting it...repositioned my IC pipes and good to go.. Something to check atleast :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back