The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

5spd Folks, What are we doing now that gear sets are scarce?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iceman21

20+ Year Contributor
May 15, 2002
Algonquin, Illinois
Just as the title implies. What are we going to do as a group of enthusiasts to fix this issue. Gear sets for DSMs/EVO3 are becoming more and more scarce with the price going up and up. As a community we can solve this. Obviously, the market is there.

I come from the aviation world and I have watched a group of enthusiasts save an entire manufacturing company that went under taking the aftermarket with. The enthusiasts bought the company and opened the doors back up and started manufacturing again.

DSMers in many circles are known as cheap asses its time we as a community prove the world wrong.

Unless there is enough demand and someone can convince a company to spend the huge amounts of money to bring something to market we are limited to used parts searching or PPG dog sets.

Yeah, I've got the original that came out of my GSX in the garage, ready for a rebuild. Because I am easily separated from my money, I would be down for some aftermarket gearsets (or whole transmissions) as long as they're helical, synchro'd, and DD worthy, but since demand for aftermarket gears has just been for full race stuff I'm sticking with stock for now.

I've hinted at it previously, but I'll probably ending up jumping ship to the EVO 4+ hardware if something does happen to my Eclipse. CJ4A, my body is ready.

What's the situation with 1st & 2nd OEM gears on a '92 AWD? I'm about to rebuild my trans and am proceeding under the assumption that all the parts for it should be available, including synchros, springs and keys. Is it more the higher gears that are becoming harder to find?

I currently have 3 spare GSX (2G) transmissions. one of them just needs a fork. The other one has a grinding gear and the third one is for parts. If someone is willing to pick them up from Tucson(AZ) I could sell them at a reasonable price. I personally own a 97 Talon TSI AWD and I have tons of other spares just for that reason(spare block, spared forged pistons, spare transfer case). If someone Really needs parts just let me know, I am willing to sacrifice my third transmission for just spares.

Thier is actually 3 aftermarket gearsets available. 2 avail from PAR, A straight cut syncro and a dog box strait cut, then the PPG gearset. The center diff options are limted to either a spool or a 4 spider with either the PAR or PPG with no lsd option, unless u can find a rare replacement for the center VC which replaces it , basically turning the center into a limited slip(Adellia). The Adellia should be remade it dosnt mater what gear set you have(strait,helical,dog,syncro) but is pointless when running a welded center diff or spool.

Then thier is sorta a 4th option . With parts being discontinued (even syncros) you are limited to what some one has in stock.a alternative is to have your gear set faceplated, which removes the syncro and thru machining and welding and treatments , makes the gearset a dogbox engament. When combined with shiming and billet mid plate, might getting you down the road for a while . Once you cross the limits of the factory helical gears ,the univitable usually still happens due to rpm,torqe and horse power.

Last edited by a moderator:
NWHTank, thanks for sharing this information. I have never seen, or heard about PAR gear sets. Luckily I am still running my TRE transmission from 10+ years ago without issue, but I know this will come to an end eventually. I would love to have an option other than a full dog box, and I believe that PAR's synchromesh engagement set might be a good option.

Anyone running a PAR gear set that can give us some feedback on them?

I've heard that getting the PAR synchro gear kit is a pain in the ass in itself, and it doesn't fix the fact that you still need OEM Evo hub & slider assemblies, which are the hardest thing to find right now. Keltalon liked his, but it requires a later Evo clutch disc to match the input shaft, and we don't know what the limitations are on it. No question this is the best solution for a street car by a mile, but it's not a cheap proposition and it doesn't fix all of the shortages.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back