The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

$5000CDN and 6 weeks later. It's in.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfdid

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 18, 2003
Calgary, Alberta_Canada
Hey guys. Long post if you have some time.

Turns out a valve snapped off and played pinball with my head and a piston. So, time for a rebuild. It was originally going to cost me about 800 bucks to fix. But the speed bug is always in the back of my head. And it stung me.

Here's the rundown of what I did. I did all of the work myself except the machining and the assembly of the bottom end(pistons, crank etc.)

Parts listed below.

Cetus Engines South Calgary did all of the machining(block and flywheel). Review of them? Kinda slow, the machinist, Will, has time to talk to you about your engine. They seemed kinda unprofessional because they did my head without me giving the go-ahead and such. I would probably try somewhere else next time, but it's my first real 'engine shop experience' so...well, I'll leave it at that.

I bought an engine hoist and stand. The hoist is a LIFE SAFER....buy one, don't rent. I would have spent more money if I rented. The hoist is only 260 bucks, I got it from Auto Value. I didn't use the engine stand because I didn't have any bolts long enough. So I used two tires instead.

I pulled the engine by myself, and put it back in by myself. The timing belt job needs 2 or 3 people to be sucessful.

When I got it all back together, the clutch was Screeching really badly. So out comes the Tranny. This took two people to accomplish. 2 hours start to finish to drop it. 2 hours contemplation and research and 1.5 hours to get it back in. The engine hoist is a life saver for this too.

Back in and it's good. It needs to be bled and needs to be adjusted and broken in, but everything's working pretty well except my rad fan. It's hooped. I need a new one.

I had no idea not to use synthetic oil for the break it, so there goes 50 dollars worth of Mobil one since I had already filled it. TO break it in: 20 mins at 2000 RPM. 5 or 6 trips of 10 minutes long going from 2000 RPM to 4000 Rpm at about 3/4 throttle. Change the oil at 50 miles, 300, 1000, and then you're good to go.

Oh, 2g pistons on 1g rods...NOT worth it unless you can cut them yourself. They cost me 100 bucks a rod to get cut. You could get Eagles for just a couple bucks more.

All in all, a sucessful job(knock on wood), it wasn't that hard to do and get everything hooked up. It just kinda fell into place.

I think the hardest part would have been the vacuum line MESS under the hood, but I went to Taboo's website and just removed everything I didn't need. It was pretty nice.

If anyone has ANY questions about anything, don't hesitate to ask, I've learned a myriad of things these last 6 months.
[email protected]

Bore and Hone to .020" over.
.020"(.5mm) over Mitsubishi 2G pistons and rings
ARP Head studs
ARP Rod bolts
Main and rod bearings.
4 layer Mitsubishi Head Gasket
Rebuild Head with new seals and some new valves.
Resurface Head
Deck block.
New oil pump
Timing belt(new pulleys, idlers, tensioner...everything)
Balance Shaft Elimination Kit
3g lifters
Water pump
Alternator
CenterForce Dual Friction clutch.
New throwout(release) bearing.
New 2nd gear synchros, hub, sleeve, springs.

And a whole lot of gaskets.
A bunch of little stuff I needed...power steering rack, bolts etc.

5 grand? Someone is walking around with 3 grand in their pockets.

Why didn't you just get a complete used motor for like a 10th the price?

I've bought 2 2g turbo awd's for less than that. Shit, a fully built Magnus 2.4ltr motor costs less than that. 5 grand, whew!

kooka said:
5 grand? Someone is walking around with 3 grand in their pockets.

Why didn't you just get a complete used motor for like a 10th the price?

I've bought 2 2g turbo awd's for less than that. Shit, a fully built Magnus 2.4ltr motor costs less than that. 5 grand, whew!

wow u got a 2g awd turbo for less than $5000?........WHERE!
i paid 7500 for my non turbo. and in all my life i never seen a awd turbo for less than 5000.

I don't mean to pile on, but~
jfdid said:
I had no idea not to use synthetic oil for the break it, so there goes 50 dollars worth of Mobil one since I had already filled it.
Well, some folks would tell you to never squander the money on synthetic. It's just not needed.
TO break it in: 20 mins at 2000 RPM. 5 or 6 trips of 10 minutes long going from 2000 RPM to 4000 Rpm at about 3/4 throttle. Change the oil at 50 miles, 300, 1000, and then you're good to go.
Woof. Good break-in for a '50 Merc, I suppose. No harm done, but that's a helluva ritual for a motor made of metals mined in the last thirty years. Still, motor break-in is as much for your head as it is for the engine's, so there you are.

lasteclispe said:
i paid 7500 for my non turbo. and in all my life i never seen a awd turbo for less than 5000.

95 Tsi Awd <---4500 about 2 years ago. and I thought things were expensive in california :laugh: remind me not to move to ny.

Hes in canada so Im sure hes talkin 5000 CN which is about 3900 US dollars give or take depending on the exchange rate, which is not way out of whack.

My apologies. CDN money.

All of the Mitsu parts up here come from California so they cost big bucks.
I did a bunch of other stuff while the engine was out, and the little stuff nickel and dimed me to death, like a new A/C bracket for $135 bucks cause I lost the spacer. Dumb stuff.

Also new oil pump, front case, crank pulley. All that stuff adds up.

But I'm pleased, the beast is on the road. :thumb:

lasteclispe said:

I bought my 2nd Gen AWD turbo for 4900. Came with HKS hipower catback, ingen intake, greddy BOV, JoeP boostcontroller, and boost gauge (ohhhhh :laugh: ). I think you got ripped off slightly. :|

jfdid said:
My apologies. CDN money.

All of the Mitsu parts up here come from California so they cost big bucks.
I did a bunch of other stuff while the engine was out, and the little stuff nickel and dimed me to death, like a new A/C bracket for $135 bucks cause I lost the spacer. Dumb stuff.

Also new oil pump, front case, crank pulley. All that stuff adds up.

But I'm pleased, the beast is on the road. :thumb:

Not to mention how expensive shit becomes just to get it up to canada. You pay duty, GST, shipping, and brokerage fees. It's not uncommon for the duty, GST, and brokerage to end up costing several hundred dollars. It was about 2400 dollars Canadian out of pocket to get an FP3065, it's bloody rediculous. On top of that, the cost of cars themselves is completely insane. To find a 1G AWD DSM with less than 160 thousand KM's, or less than 100 thousand miles on it you're looking at spending in the range of 8 to 9 thousand dollars.

Wow i just bought a 91 tsi awd for 500 with 80,000 miles on it. The only thing is when the previous owner had the timing belt redone it wasn't done properly (it hasn't been started since so its ok) so all i have to do is redo the timing belt and i can resell it for around 3000 or so. :p

Slipstream said:
95 Tsi Awd <---4500 about 2 years ago. and I thought things were expensive in california :laugh: remind me not to move to ny.

We both got pretty lucky. I snagged a '97 virgin just about two weeks ago for $4,700 from a young girl. Gave her a little body work, new paint job, and fluid/mechanical maintainence and she's looking beautiful. Hopefully she didn't drive like a typical girl and throw the tranny to hell. :cry:

I don't know "how i got ripped off" if I did all the work myself, except machining.

drk mrk iv said:
I bought my 2nd Gen AWD turbo for 4900. Came with HKS hipower catback, ingen intake, greddy BOV, JoeP boostcontroller, and boost gauge (ohhhhh :laugh: ). I think you got ripped off slightly. :|

OMG ny is not the place to buy used cars it looks like. i was looking for a good low mile eclipse for more than a year and then i found mine for 7500 and i jumped on it. butmost eclipses around here has over 100000 miles and they cost around 5000-7500 (non turbo). so i know i didnt get ripped. thats just the prices around here.

4G63's are not cheap up here compared to the States. We actually have to try not to blow our engines.

And neither are the cars. 99 turbos still sell for $20,000 - $25,000 CAD here.

I picked up my 95 TSI AWD for 3900 about a year and a half ago, dealer thought it was blown up, just needed new spark plugs. My buddy just bought a 95 TSI AWD for 2800, 99k miles, and it has a T28 on it since the stocker crapped on previous owner. They go pretty cheap here in Ohio!

Quik_GSX said:
We both got pretty lucky. I snagged a '97 virgin just about two weeks ago for $4,700 from a young girl. Gave her a little body work, new paint job, and fluid/mechanical maintainence and she's looking beautiful. Hopefully she didn't drive like a typical girl and throw the tranny to hell. :cry:

Haha :laugh: the way you say that, it sounds totally different then what you meant.

Thanks ;)

www.canadatrader.com

98 TSI AWD with 61 thousand miles: $21900
97 TSI AWD with 41 thousand miles: $17490
96 TSI AWD with chamelion paint, blitz body kit, and owned by a stunna that likes to beat on it: $14500
97 TSI AWD with 60 thousand miles: $13975

See where I'm going with this? Shit is still rediculously expensive. These are all stock cars, selling for loads of dough. Who wants to pay 22 thousand for a 6 year old car?

can you just buy a car in america and have it shiped? On cars.com i just found a bunch of clean 97 tsi AWD for like 10,000 american or 13,000 CDN

Add 1500 to ship it in a train and you save like 6 grand

EvoGun said:
Haha :laugh: the way you say that, it sounds totally different then what you meant.

Thanks ;)

:laugh: I know what you mean. After reading that I seriously considered editing my post lest I be labeled a sexual predator. Seriously, I'm really a nice guy! :thumb:

thegreatms said:
can you just buy a car in america and have it shiped? On cars.com i just found a bunch of clean 97 tsi AWD for like 10,000 american or 13,000 CDN

Add 1500 to ship it in a train and you save like 6 grand

No you don't because you pay large to import the car over the border plus all canadian taxes etc etc.. It's not any cheaper at all to buy from the U.S. to be perfectly honestly. Whatever the price is in U.S. dollars double that and it's what it costs in canadian once it's over the border (including exchange shipping etc etc.) So that $100 part cost me $200 canadian.

If you know where to get stuff it's not any more expensive but you have to be in the loop. Also remember that Calgary is not exactly the hot bed of import performance etc. I think they have 3 tuner shops there LOL. We ahve about eleventymillion of them here in Toronto along with 20 or so guys who import JDM motors directly, major distributors, 3 drag strips etc so it's pretty cheap here for everything. Once your outside of the Toronto or Vancouver or Montreal area it's mucho expensive to have anything done.

jfdid - It sounds to me like more than anything your machine shop was bending you over because you were getting them to do stuff they are not used to. They saw you comin and decided to stick it to you. I can have 1G rods fitted for around $100 for the set. Full engine assembly including bearings $600-700 type of thing here. Really for all the stuff you did, all the new parts, all the machining thats about right for what you got.

DSMJim said:
No you don't because you pay large to import the car over the border plus all canadian taxes etc etc.. It's not any cheaper at all to buy from the U.S. to be perfectly honestly. Whatever the price is in U.S. dollars double that and it's what it costs in canadian once it's over the border (including exchange shipping etc etc.) So that $100 part cost me $200 canadian.

Actually it is a lot cheaper to buy the car in the US. That is what I did and it saved me about $10000. I bought a 95GSX for $7000 Canadian and at the time could have turned around and sold it for about $20000 Canadian. And bringing a car back to Canada isn't as hard as everyone thinks. My car was recently stolen so as soon as I receive some insurance money it is back across the borded for me. If people are intersted in what involved with bringing a car back into Canada let me know and I will tell you what is needed.

i just git my engine rebuild with almost same stuff as above and it was $4500can

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back