The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

50 trim not that fast. please bring some ideas.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4G63_n/t_GS said:
heres from my experience i use to have a big 16 and then swaped to a 50 trim they both ran the same 16g at 18psi and the 50 trim at 20 except for the 50 trim pulled the whole way through redline the 50 trim dosnt like low boost which is 20 for it try getting it tuned at 25 + and then youll see a difference
oh ok. thanks for the tip. ill try that soon.

ok, i took out the bolt in the CAS in my 2g and screwed it perfectly into my crower cams that came from a 1g. how is this? i thought the threads were different. wasnt i supposed to have the 1g cam drilled and tapped to accept the 2g CAS bolt?

Looks like Crower was nice enough to prep their cam for both 1G and 2G's! mark

97gstnick said:
well, whats the difference in the CAS bolts in the 2g and 1g cam?

Man, you really need to tune your car! It takes a LOT of time to get your car right with dsmlink. I dont have that much done to my car and at 23psi I laid down over 320whp on 91 octane with a gallon of c12.

TUNE TUNE TUNE..get a wideband.

PRESSURIZED said:
Man, you really need to tune your car! It takes a LOT of time to get your car right with dsmlink. I dont have that much done to my car and at 23psi I laid down over 320whp on 91 octane with a gallon of c12.

TUNE TUNE TUNE..get a wideband.

um thanks for the encouraging words but you didnt really answer my question. my car is actually running alright and im on 21 psi. and i also want it to run like it is with only pump gas (93). and only tuned by myself.

97gstnick said:
well, whats the difference in the CAS bolts in the 2g and 1g cam?

1g's and 95-96 don't need the intake cam drilled/tapped for the CAS only the 97-99's need this done. Crower is probably just like Comp, they pre drill/tapp for the 97-99 CAS so the cams will fit all years.

daren_p said:
1g's and 95-96 don't need the intake cam drilled/tapped for the CAS only the 97-99's need this done. Crower is probably just like Comp, they pre drill/tapp for the 97-99 CAS so the cams will fit all years.
yea, mark informed me that 1g cams dont have a bolt holding the CAS on. that is awesome that crower did it for all years. :thumb: on their part

97gstnick said:
um thanks for the encouraging words but you didnt really answer my question. my car is actually running alright and im on 21 psi. and i also want it to run like it is with only pump gas (93). and only tuned by myself.

Okay thats great but 10 gallons of 91 octane with a gallon of 108 is still probaly around 93 octane at best.

So back to what I was saying. Instead of buying more and more upgrades (like stage 4 cams that are just too much for a stock block/stock head 2g that redlines at 7500) I would focus on tuning what you have. You have'nt even come close to tapping into the power that you can make now.

I would recommend some fp2 or fp2x cams, even some hks 272's......and def get some dual valve springs, etc. So you can USE the higher powerband of the Cams/SMIM. Otherwise you may be disappointed with a powerband of 6000rpm to 8500rpm but be cut to only 1500 rpm of power (7500) because of the stock springs etc

Not to mention a head gasket and some ARP studs (cometic, arp etc.)
-Mike

post a Link log and I can give you a few pointers.

^^^^^^see now this guy knows where i was comming from in hte earlier posts. gstnick, you need to tune!! at this point with the mods done, you need to make them work with one another. you arent gonna get any faster if you just keep putting in parts and have a shitty tune. so make all your mods pay off and focus on tuning the thing before you keep putting more and more parts in.

I've read a bit on the DSMLink (and other forums) about tuning issues with the MAFT and see that you have a "hacked gm maf" listed in your profile. I assume that means you removed the screen which woudl make it even that much harder to compensate/tune for.

Just a suggestion, but if you have your old 2G MAS, may want to give that a try to see if your performance improves as woudl be much easier to calibrate for.

If you're concerned of it being a restriction/overrun, I've been running ~46lb-min on my 50-trim and unhacked 2G MAS without overrunning it for a while now :dsm:

DSM90AWD said:
If you're concerned of it being a restriction/overrun, I've been running ~46lb-min on my 50-trim and unhacked 2G MAS without overrunning it for a while now :dsm:

Even if you do overrun the 2g MAS, Dsmlink has a nice little feature to get around this, fake MAF. DSM90AWD is right, adding the MAFT makes things more difficult & if you've hacked it that just makes things that much harder to setp correctly.

97gstnick said:
well, what do you guys think i should be trapping at then? what is a average that most 50 trim guys trap on with fwd?
Have you actually taken your car to the track yet? If so what were the results?

There is tons of information already available out there on DSMTimes or Tuners 1/4Mile Times if you wanted to research what others have done already with similar turbos/setups.

So as not to promote bench racing I will give you an actual example.
My car (yes a 1G and AWD) is tuned to within 80-90% of my 50-trims potential (~420HP) and trap 115mph. Your car is likely a couple hundred lbs lighter than mine so would expect you to do at least as well if not better in MPH if well setup/tuned :dsm:

DSM90AWD said:
Have you actually taken your car to the track yet? If so what were the results?

There is tons of information already available out there on DSMTimes or Tuners 1/4Mile Times if you wanted to research what others have done already with similar turbos/setups.

So as not to promote bench racing I will give you an actual example.
My car (yes a 1G and AWD) is tuned to within 80-90% of my 50-trims potential (~420HP) and trap 115mph. Your car is likely a couple hundred lbs lighter than mine so would expect you to do at least as well if not better in MPH if well setup/tuned :dsm:

I have a few questions. Were those numbers/times on pump gas? How much boost where you running? How much does your car weigh?

Thanks... just curious

Turbocharged said:
I have a few questions. Were those numbers/times on pump gas? How much boost where you running? How much does your car weigh?
It's all in my profile (minus the JMF SMIM which I recently added) :dsm:

**oops, seems the psi field is now missing from the vehicle profile form, but I was at 22psi (~44-46lb/min max airflow)**

97gstnick said:
well, what do you guys think i should be trapping at then? what is a average that most 50 trim guys trap on with fwd?

I trapped 110 mph at 21 psi COMPLTELY untuned (In my FWD). I left the old settings on my G50 when I put the BB5031 in and granny shifted 2-3rd gear. The 50 trim on a good tune and FWD will definitely be able to get you to trap 115+.

blcknspo0ln said:
I trapped 110 mph at 21 psi COMPLTELY untuned (In my FWD). I left the old settings on my G50 when I put the BB5031 in and granny shifted 2-3rd gear. The 50 trim on a good tune and FWD will definitely be able to get you to trap 115+.
if this is true, then something is definitely wrong with my car as i trapped 103. but i need to check for boost leaks and such and try the track again. i'll post a log up later on.

97gstnick said:
if this is true, then something is definitely wrong with my car as i trapped 103. but i need to check for boost leaks and such and try the track again. i'll post a log up later on.

There is nothing wrong with your car

POST A LOG!

3rd gear pull to redline best

97gstnick said:

Something's not right, I haven't been to the track but with the gtech (in real world tests they actually come out pretty dame close) I saw around 108 mph traps last year when I was playing around. This was with boost set at 18 or so. Even on a street friendly boost & tune you should see 110 traps I would think.

daren_p said:
Even on a street friendly boost & tune you should see 110 traps I would think.

Easily, my everyday street setting of 24psi and a pretty safe tune that starts in the upper 10's and works its way to the low 11's up top netted me 121mph in my 3300lb AWD...

The g tech reads three to five usually higher mph than track. So 108 is like 105 to 103.pretty lame since a good 50 trim should be able to do 120 or more mph.
My car with a 50 trim was also very slow with very poor mph.It was simply the stock clutch slipped horrible. If you are seeing 20psi at the boost gauge then you could have leaks if you can't hold the 20 but it is getting there if you are seeing it.

I am not going to read thru this whole thread but unless you have no compressioin in your engine which I would check or have knock retard so bad its taking away all your timing then the 50 trim should run like a raped ape! Its not rocket science.
Your mph is very low. Mph is not very dependent on launch and shows true power.

You have one of these problems..
Bad compression hurting engine.
You could have boost leak if you can't hold the boost.
Shot clutch.
Knock retard off the scale.
Thats about it.
And even with a bit lower compression as my engine had 150,000 miles on it when had a 50 trim on there it still got decently fast but that clutch was really killing it. I had smic also that would heat soak but that took a few runs.

My car ran very erratic but usually low mph and low et..not much faster than my 14b did.
But when the clutch wasn't slipping it did freaking fly.
Of course my 97 is a rocket ride but its got a new clutch not messing around this time.

A pooched turbo will not boost either but then you should be seeing low boost. My 14b on my 91 laser was shot.It would only do 10psi no matter where I set the boost controller.
It was shot...cracks in exhaust housing,it was hitting the side of the compressor housing it was pooched.Got another 14 b and instant boost again.

There were issues with the turbonetics turbos the RS60TS had a lot of lemons.I stick to garette myself.I would think a 50 trim should do 113 or so on a g tech at 20psi. and 120 plus at 30 pounds.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back