The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

5 speed transmission alignment

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tribal_RS_96

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 19, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
My transmission (96 eclipse 2.0) is making a grinding noise only in 1st gear after 2700 RPM. The Syncs are fine, no grinding when I shift or anything. When doing the engine swap, I just put everything back. The transmission had no problems until I bolted down the shifter linkages. How can I adjust them, or could somebody help me with this?

dose it only grind in first gear. sounds like a tranny problem i am a auto tech from kckcc and changed many clutchs on dsm's as long as the dowel pins are in the tranny then alignment is not an issue. these trannies are sealed so my advise is to find a new one or get a gsx

and linkage should be fine as long as it isnt twisted. linkage usually comes into question when your car pops out of gear. good luck

and cheak your cv shafts just incase see if they are hitting something when the engine moves during acceleration if so cheak all of your moter mounts

Yeah, it only makes the noise in 1st gear at low speeds, on the left side, I will check my cv shaft tomorrow to see if something is interfering.

alright, doing more work on the car, it is not the clutch, the tob is fine, im going under the console tomorrow to look at the shift bushings, also see the clutch pedal has too much play.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back