The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

5-speed auto schools?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbo98eclipse

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 27, 2004
northern, New_Jersey
anyone know of any driving schools in new jersey that teach using manual trans?? (mostly looking for north jersey, but any will help) thanx! :thumb:

5 Spd Manual School? Id say buy yourself a honda beater and learn from that. I bet your better off buying one for 200-300 dollars and learn by yourself. Then you can maybe teach others and charge them a bit.

I've heard of a place in Newark, but there's no need to spend money. Just find someone with a manual and learn off them. It's not that hard :thumb:

i learned on my car, i wasnt that hard at all. :cool:

I learned off of my dirt bike, the slipping of the clutch at least. Then I learned it on my first car. It really isn't that hard, the hills take a little while longer to learn. Also, if you have a friend that has a beater w/stick, use it.

It wasn't too hard at all. I learned the basic concept from my friends car. He had a 2000 Eclipse GS at the time. I ended up buying my DSM and learned on that. Actually....I still remember when I bought the car from the dealer, and the Salesman said, "This is your first stick and you really can't drive it?!" ROFL I think he was a little bit hesistant to sell me it thinking I'd wreck it. LoL. Almost 4 years later now...and I haven't wrecked into anything. And I live in Pittsburgh, PA. Lots of hills EVERYWHERE. :)

But yeah, find a friend willing to teach you on their car. It's not that hard at all. If you can get the car moving from a stop. It's all downhill from there. :)

If you have no friends, rent a manual car for a day or so. If yo understand the concept it shouldn't be too hard.

If you can't grasp the concept, don't buy it.

My very first car was a DSM 5spd. I never drove a stick. But I bought it anyhow and learned how on the way home. long as you understand what is supposed to happen you'll make it...even if you kill it multiple times on the way home. after 1st gear its EZ. Just if you have to use more gas at the begining so the car doesn't shutter..even if it sounds like.

FYI. In my FWD laser I can take off from a dead stop, not even touching the gas if I carefully let the clutch out slowly enough.

Gigaah said:
FYI. In my FWD laser I can take off from a dead stop, not even touching the gas if I carefully let the clutch out slowly enough.

You can do that on any car if you let out the clutch slow enough with some control. :D

Best advice I can give is to use the clutch in a two step fashion. First step is to release it enough for it to grab. Once moving and while releasing it, you can then completely take your foot off. Once you memorize where the grab point is, the rest is cake. Well, heel and toe can be tricky (or impossible for those of us with big feet). The key to a smooth ride is rev matching the gears. It prevents whiplash and is nice to the driveline. :cool:

Also don't be affraid to stall. Just because Joe Blow "didn't stall his first time" doesn't mean he has a 12" dick. Shit, I still stall once every blue moon. I'll take an overall better stick driver compared to some ass that "never stalls"

ROFL here every one has to drive a manual to get a liscence.. but thats because we germans are wierd like that ROFL

buy a beater,learn
:thumb:

I forgot about that. In England, if you take your test in an automatic car, that is all you are allowed to drive. 'Course if you take it in a manual, you can drive either.

Then again, the driving test in the states is a joke.

I beleive he may have been asking about a racing school? I could be wrong though...

boostedinaz said:
"Well you didnt run into anything. Here is you license."

Um, actually I think you are allowed to hit one thing ROFL

Omega said:
You can do that on any car if you let out the clutch slow enough with some control. :D

Best advice I can give is to use the clutch in a two step fashion. First step is to release it enough for it to grab. Once moving and while releasing it, you can then completely take your foot off. Once you memorize where the grab point is, the rest is cake. Well, heel and toe can be tricky (or impossible for those of us with big feet). The key to a smooth ride is rev matching the gears. It prevents whiplash and is nice to the driveline. :cool:

Also don't be affraid to stall. Just because Joe Blow "didn't stall his first time" doesn't mean he has a 12" dick. Shit, I still stall once every blue moon. I'll take an overall better stick driver compared to some ass that "never stalls"

That right lot of us still stall the cars even tho we know how to drive.

I don't think there is a driving school in US that teaches u how to drive stick. imagine howmany clutches they would have to change.

Omega said:
Um, actually I think you are allowed to hit one thing ROFL
Yea actually you are right! You're allowed to fail one of the three things, parallel parking, backing up for 50 feet, or K turn. At least it was like that when i was taking an exam. Pretty sad if you ask me :toobad:

Save yourself some money and spend some time reading, then go out and try it...

http://www.10w40.com/individual/100186.asp

Practice in a safe place. Have a window down and no music so u can hear your engine.

I recommend before you start to drive get a fell for the clutch. You can acutely hold the brake down and let the clutch out slowly(very slowly) until it starts to touch the flywheel and you will hear/watch the RPM go down slightly when it touches (but don't go beyond that or you will inevitable stall it). Then you know the position your clutch pedal is at when it start to grab.

Oh, at watch out for the hills ;)

Haha hills are fun. When I got my car I was rolling down a hill, well my buddy was like give it some gas and let the clutch out. Probably the second best burnout I've ever done. LOL!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back