The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

4G64T 7G Galant

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In the process of doing the AWD swap on my galant. Getting somewhat difficult to find parts/donors so I'm figuring out alternatives as I go.

Rear Subframe is from a 8G EC5A Galant vr4/Legnum. Almost identical to the 2G awd subframe with a few minor differences. Bolts up exactly the same though.

20220724_174802.jpg

I'm using a GSX gas tank because the seller of the VR4 subframe no longer had it.

The AWD pump/sending unit is hard to come. Either a bit expensive or in bad condition for my liking. So instead I'm modifying a fuel assembly from the USDM 8G galant/3G eclipse/Dodge/Chrysler for the passenger side. I'm going to drill a hole and use either a -6/-8 fitting for the fuel pump itself. The factory feed and return will be used for the Venturi/Siphon Valve.

For the driver side sending unit I'm using a Honda accord sending unit with a float from a second Mitsubishi assembly. The Honda float only has two wires and the Mitsubishi has three. I'm not exactly sure if it'll work like factory for the gauges but I'll update it as I go.

The retainer ring is apparently discontinued from Mitsubishi and the parts store are unable to locate them for the 2G GSX.

Retainer ring and Gaskets that fit
Spectra Premium L0162 on Amazon for $12.76 as of July 2022 if anything needs new.
-1999-2003 8G Mitsubishi Galant
-2000-2004 3G Mitsubishi Eclipse
-I forgot the years for Dodge/Chrysler specific vehicles but Stratus & Sebring fit as well

20220809_063029.jpg

20220809_063012.jpg

20220809_062953.jpg

20220809_062901.jpg

20220809_062916.jpg

Not the greatest pictures but I basically had the subframe bolted in a few days prior to receiving the gas tank. My current plan for this week is to fabricate a gas tank shield and mounts. I think I pretty much have the wiring figured out for the pumps. If they work as intended I'll post a final version of the wiring for anyone who needs/wants it.

The next big thing I'm looking for is basically the front end for the swap. I actually have the VR4 driveshaft from the guy I bought the subframe from and it's the correct length for my car. It will bolt right up once I get the driveshaft brackets figured out. It's apparently a 21 spline shaft but I'll recount it again later.

Currently in need of a transmission, axles, better clutch/flywheel setup and the half shaft. Once those are collected my Last major swap for this car will be done. The next thing will probably be getting another 4G64 built because I have a spare 64 DOHC waiting to be used 😎

20220729_004519.jpg

20220729_010227.jpg

20220729_010251.jpg

Besides the AWD progression

Went with a Turbo Lab of America T3 .82 housing for my HX35. This includes a Rev9 (Turbonetics style) T3 manifold. This swap was for testing purposes and I'll end up making my own manifold. The Rev9 needed some work but $80 for testing wasn't too bad. It really just needed some porting.

I also welded up 3 inch downpipe with an electric exhaust cutout for a bumper exit. My first time working with piecuts and I just kinda eyeballed it LOL. Not the prettiest welds but it works. I picked up a new tig welder so I'll be making a V2 for my car.

- Installed -16 radiator fittings, -10 fittings on the thermostat housing and heater core pipes
- Redid the breather setup on the block and head with -6 fittings for now
-Running a Spal 14" and Flexalite 12"

20220222_143836.jpg

20220222_154024.jpg

20220222_154035.jpg

20220224_120239.jpg

20220224_145818.jpg

20220226_142557.jpg

20220302_142726.jpg

20220302_170813.jpg

20220305_223729.jpg

20220305_223809.jpg

20220307_042519.jpg

20220307_042526.jpg

20220307_051547.jpg

20220307_051557.jpg

Have you gotten the driveshaft installed? Did you build your own engine harness? If so got any good information on it? I’m currently trying to build one myself

Have you gotten the driveshaft installed? Did you build your own engine harness? If so got any good information on it? I’m currently trying to build one myself
Driveshaft isn't installed yet. I'm fabricating gas tank mounts at the moment so haven't gotten to it yet.

I'm using a stock 94 Galant GS harness running a evo 3 ecu on ecmlink. It's plug and play for this harness. I'm planning to swap over to a Haltech Elite 1500 with their harness

Temporary brackets made from aluminum stock. They work for now but need more modifications. The Galant VR4 diff mounting ears are much bigger including the diff itself. Currently running into fitment issues with the tank but I already have an idea on what to do

20220814_165144.jpg

20220814_203915.jpg

Driveshaft isn't installed yet. I'm fabricating gas tank mounts at the moment so haven't gotten to it yet.

I'm using a stock 94 Galant GS harness running a evo 3 ecu on ecmlink. It's plug and play for this harness. I'm planning to swap over to a Haltech Elite 1500 with their harness
If you don’t mind me asking but how’s the 94 a plug and play harness? Doesn’t the 94 still run a distributor!? Or am I missing something there?

If you don’t mind me asking but how’s the 94 a plug and play harness? Doesn’t the 94 still run a distributor!? Or am I missing something there

If you don’t mind me asking but how’s the 94 a plug and play harness? Doesn’t the 94 still run a distributor!? Or am I missing something there
The 94 GS uses coil packs like 1G/2G and Evo 1-3s. The GS is a rare trim that came factory with a 4G64 DOHC and didn't come with a distributor like the other trims. This Harness is basically identical to the Evo 1-3 harness

The 94 GS uses coil packs like 1G/2G and Evo 1-3s. The GS is a rare trim that came factory with a 4G64 DOHC and didn't come with a distributor like the other trims. This Harness is basically identical to the Evo 1-3 harness
Wow I did not know that. Looks like I need to be on the lookout for one of those.

Wow I did not know that. Looks like I need to be on the lookout for one of those.
I'll be straightforward and tell you finding a 94 GS is gonna be very difficult. I don't recall the numbers produced but it was less than 1%.

If you want a basically plug and play setup for a DOHC+Turbo+Manual+Ecmlink I would recommend a Evo 1-3 or a RVR ecu. You would have to wire in a few things but it's not too difficult. UNLESS you can get a hold of their engine harness from one of those cars. If not you can find info about it on TheGalantCenter if you're on there.

A better option I would recommend is just converting over to a 2G Harness with Ecmlink. The Evo 3/RVR setup is plug and play but you're limited on the version of link that's available. If Ecmlink V3 full ever becomes available for my setup I would stay instead of converting to an aftermarket ecu

I'll be straightforward and tell you finding a 94 GS is gonna be very difficult. I don't recall the numbers produced but it was less than 1%.

If you want a basically plug and play setup for a DOHC+Turbo+Manual+Ecmlink I would recommend a Evo 1-3 or a RVR ecu. You would have to wire in a few things but it's not too difficult. UNLESS you can get a hold of their engine harness from one of those cars. If not you can find info about it on TheGalantCenter if you're on there.

A better option I would recommend is just converting over to a 2G Harness with Ecmlink. The Evo 3/RVR setup is plug and play but you're limited on the version of link that's available. If Ecmlink V3 full ever becomes available for my setup I would stay instead of converting to an aftermarket ecu
I am on there.. but that page is so dead.. I’ve gotten better information out of you then I’ve found on there personally. I’ll have to toy around with this information and think of my options.. I have a Galant that was already swapped.. but I don’t know how much I trust the wiring since the previous owner let another person redo it..

I am on there.. but that page is so dead.. I’ve gotten better information out of you then I’ve found on there personally. I’ll have to toy around with this information and think of my options.. I have a Galant that was already swapped.. but I don’t know how much I trust the wiring since the previous owner let another person redo it..
Ah I gotcha LOL. I've been on TGC and GalantTuners for awhile now. I'm friends with most of the people who've already done the major swaps so most of my information is from them or just some things I figured out over the years.

If you can get a hold of like Evo 3/Rvr stuff it'll be easier to do but the hard part is finding them. The 2G stuff is more readily available but some work is needed to get everything working correctly.

But if you ever need help don't hesitate to ask and I'll help with what I can

Ah I gotcha LOL. I've been on TGC and GalantTuners for awhile now. I'm friends with most of the people who've already done the major swaps so most of my information is from them or just some things I figured out over the years.

If you can get a hold of like Evo 3/Rvr stuff it'll be easier to do but the hard part is finding them. The 2G stuff is more readily available but some work is needed to get everything working correctly.

But if you ever need help don't hesitate to ask and I'll help with what I can
Everything I have for them are 2g based.. but I just can’t find decent info to make the two harnesses work together.. my biggest thing is wiring in the coil system with the power transistor.

It's been a minute but been working on the swap the past week. Rear end is completely bolted in besides the AYC stuff.

Been fabricating the carrier bearing brackets with square tubing+flat stock and finally got something I liked. They're not pretty but they work. Driveshaft is temporarily installed so I can fabricate a new exhaust. It'll be 3" 304 with a few bends and pie cuts wherever it's needed. I should be able to knock it out in like a day or two.

Next things in line
- Finish wiring my custom fuel pump harness
- Swap out the 21 spline transfer case input shaft to a DSM one
- Source a Trans, transfer case, axles, half shaft, etc

20220905_165051.jpg

20220920_170754.jpg

20220921_192611.jpg

20220922_143357.jpg

20220922_151625.jpg

20220922_151727.jpg

Chopped up my fwd exhaust and reusing some bits for the awd one

Straight 3" from my custom downpipe and reusing most of the vband connections. Gotta weld some more pipe, two bungs, and a few hangers

20220923_183751.jpg

20220923_183810.jpg

I want the generation galant after this one but AWD and 4G64T. Love these things.
The 8G vr4 are now legal to import so I'm planning to pick one up sometime in the future LOL. The USDM 8Gs will go through the same process of swapping in a 2G rear end with the availability of the 4G/6G platform

The 8G vr4 are now legal to import so I'm planning to pick one up sometime in the future LOL. The USDM 8Gs will go through the same process of swapping in a 2G rear end with the availability of the 4G/6G platform

Good to know for sure. I’m either going to do this, or make a 3G GSX with evo parts one day before I die. Love both. And they’d be sleepers if done right.

I forgot to take pictures but exhaust is pretty much done. I just need to weld a muffler and extend the tip a few inches and then it will be done.

Currently waiting for Hurricane Ian to pass so I can work on it again but I will take pictures of everything later

20220927_203949.jpg

20220927_204028.jpg

With the addition of the driveshaft and the adjustment of my exhaust I had to drop my Tanabe sustec brace about an 1". Cut some pipe,used some washers, and made a bolt coupling to weld up a spacer. I'm also making one for the rear brace as well. Hopefully I still have enough ground clearance but if not it's easily fixable

20221002_152016.jpg

20221002_151959.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back