The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

4g64 with nasty rattle/clatter

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graeme ross

Probationary Member
Nov 4, 2019
New Bwith, Australia
Hi all, hoping someone may have come across this issue and have some advice for me. Just fitted this wrecker sourced 4g64 engine with 161k to my WA Exporess van. When first run engine sounded noisy as with lots of lifter noise, but then settled down after a few minutes. Took it for a couple of short runs, declared success, and then noticeed the noises on the video when driving along, engine now fully warmed up. Sounds ok when cold. Any ideas on what to aim at?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

it could be the lifters, but the rattle sounds a little like maybe balance shaft belt might be missing some teeth, or perhaps it was timed out of phase, it's always a good idea to replace the t belt and balance belt at the same time, especially on an engine you don't know the history on, pop the top cover and look for belt fragments or sparkle dust which is a common sign that its disintegrating, don't run it until you check the belts, I think they are interference engines so at the least inspect it all.

Thanks for the post. I had replaced the timing belts. Since solved the issue. Turns out there is a 123 and a 124 tooth belt. I used a 123 belt kit tck232, and it fitted, but seemed setup a resonance in the tensioner and belt across a certain revrange rev range. I could see the belt flapping looking down from the top. Fitted a 124 belt and also the engines original tensioner rather than the near new one off motor being changed out, and problem resolved. Managed to get some slomo footage of the idler flapping around, though could not get the issue and clatter noise to replicate with timing covers off and no coolant in engine.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back