The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

4G64 w/ 4G63 head

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evangallion

Probationary Member
Feb 5, 2012
North Miami Bea, Florida
I own, a 2g Spyder with of course a SOHC 4G64. I've heard so much about having a 4G63T head on the 4G64, but I've never seen it done, or at least a nice explanation of it. I'm not quite sure if the Galant, and the Eclipse run on the same kind of 4G64.
I do plan to turbo it, and already have the 5 speed M/T for a 4G63T, and I do know that the Rods should be shorter, or it will hit the head. I also have the ECU for a 63T in hand.

I've spent some time on research but plenty of links are either dead, or don't provide useful information, as far as the parts needed for the swap. Help for this would be grand.

the rods are the same, the pistons are the main difference, using a 63 head with stock 64 pistons will up the compression ratio to levels that aren't very ideal for boost.

You'll need to plug the block holes for oil drainage, an 86.5mm headgasket, either 94 galant DOHC stock cam gears or adjustable 63 gears, 94 dohc timing belt etc.

More info here
2G Turbo Head Swap on a 4G64

The torque from the 2.4 is awesome and has immensely helped with spooling my already quick spooling HX.

the rods are the same, the pistons are the main difference, using a 63 head with stock 64 pistons will up the compression ratio to levels that aren't very ideal for boost.

You'll need to plug the block holes for oil drainage, an 86.5mm headgasket, either 94 galant DOHC stock cam gears or adjustable 63 gears, 94 dohc timing belt etc.

More info here
2G Turbo Head Swap on a 4G64

The torque from the 2.4 is awesome and has immensely helped with spooling my already quick spooling HX.
Thanks for the list of parts. I'm guessing you've done this project already?

I was going to go this route, I plan on doing an awd spyder, but I would rather have a high revving 2.0 than a 2.4; as this would explain the many views and no comments.

I know it's an idea that has been thought, and done many times, by different tuners, and would like their share of experience. I guess it's a personal choice if you want a 2.0 or a 2.4 long block.

Does anyone know the ideal length for the rods, and size for the pistons for this set up?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back