The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Spyder 4g64 Hybrid Turbo

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I’m a little confused still about the oil feed from the filter housing.
Am I going to need a housing from a turbo?
I don’t see anywhere a feed can hook up to my current oil filter housing.
Or does the kit you mentioned tap into it somehow?
There are some plugs / taps on certain OFH that use a British pipe thread size that you can buy adapters for.

This link should give you literally everything you need to know in the world of filter housings including non turbo if I’m not mistaken:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The video should explain it all ^^

I found the old link I used when I got my line. Came with this j-pipe kit.

But here's a pic of mine. Kind of a rough pic since my car is kinda low. But its literally just an Allen key plug.

Just wanted to add;
I took out the old ECU today. It’s a total pita to get out. My old one has a black plastic case. New slotted turbo one with ecmlink is a metal case and is a bit bigger but has the same bracket.
I’m sure it’s going to also be a pita to get it in.

Man... How i wish there was a single go to resource to get this done. Like one awesome article. Unfortunately all the info for this is just scattered everywhere, lots are just misleading, and the majority are history (sites no longer active).
I am learning this as i go. And yea, i suppose why dont i start my own blog/article?
Being honest, Its because im too lazy to do that. I work in IT as a professional. I dont want to document anything if its not for work, thats not fun for me.
Its already tough to find the time to do this without the documenting.

I have a new MHI big16G on order :)
Just got the intercooler kit from RTM :) (havent even opened the box yet)

But i have a TON to finish before i can get to that. Im not even done with taking off my old head. And the new head still does not have the cam shafts installed.
I did just bleed all the GSC no tick lifters. Put on all rocker arms after making sure everything has a decent covering of assembly oil. Oiled up the cams nicely.
Then realized im missing one cam seal... Its always something missing.

Took off my intake manifold, and compared the ports to the new head. They are completely different. Im surprised most of these 'how to 4g64 to 4g63 head' articles dont really mention this. They all emphasize on the exhaust manifold, but not the intake.
So now im waiting for a 4g63t intake manifold. Which i will port myself as well to fit the S90 throttle body nicely.
A thermostat housing was also missed. So thats on order now.
Its hard to find any info on the ECU location and physical removal process. I just had to use brute force to get it out. There must be a better way.

Its also weird how none of those articles mention anything about the fuse box. Its in the way. Definitely needs to move.
The 1G cas wiring i get. But the physical install i am not sure of yet. I know which direction it needs to go. But does the CAS go right into the slots in the cam? Or am i missing something that bolts the cam in on that end?

Im sure i'll find a bunch of other things ive overlooked or missed as i get further in this build.
Ive totally lost track of the budget for this. When i see im missing or need something i order it. I have so many parts laying around im sure some will get lost in the shuffle. Ive already somehow lost a knock sensor, so had to order another.
I have zero orgazizing skills.

Last edited:
Then realized im missing one cam seal... Its always something missing.

Took off my intake manifold, and compared the ports to the new head. They are completely different. Im surprised most of these 'how to 4g64 to 4g63 head' articles dont really mention this. They all emphasize on the exhaust manifold, but not the intake.
So now im waiting for a 4g63t intake manifold.
I hope you have that cam seal because you do not want to use one from a different head.
EDIT: cam cap not seal*** If it’s just the seal on the end never mind

So I’m a little confused I see in your build thread you have a 7 bolt 4g63 head. The 7 bolt heads (2G) have a smaller intake port than the 6 bolts (1G) do. Keep in mind there is such thing as a 1G 7 bolt as well. This article will explain the fundamental differences:

You’ll definitely want to make sure you have the right manifold for either a 6 or 7 bolt head they are not interchangeable without leaks.

The 7 bolts also have smaller holes for the head studs which you will need to bore out to fit onto a 6 bolt block (I’m assuming your 4g64 is 6 bolt right?) you might want to put the head studs through the holes in the head to see if they fit

I hope you have that cam seal because you do not want to use one from a different head.
EDIT: cam cap not seal*** If it’s just the seal on the end never mind

So I’m a little confused I see in your build thread you have a 7 bolt 4g63 head. The 7 bolt heads (2G) have a smaller intake port than the 6 bolts (1G) do. Keep in mind there is such thing as a 1G 7 bolt as well. This article will explain the fundamental differences:

You’ll definitely want to make sure you have the right manifold for either a 6 or 7 bolt head they are not interchangeable without leaks.

The 7 bolts also have smaller holes for the head studs which you will need to bore out to fit onto a 6 bolt block (I’m assuming your 4g64 is 6 bolt right?) you might want to put the head studs through the holes in the head to see if they fit
My block is a 4g64 from a 99 Spyder.
It’s a 7 bolt. The head is a 4g63 dohc 7 bolt.
The intake manifolds ports from the 7 bolt 4g64 head is not the same as the 7 bolt 4g63 head.

Cam caps are all in order :)

Last edited:
Ah yes I see now. Sorry for the unsolicited advice LOL. You’ll probably be happier with the 4g63 intake. Good luck.

There is light at the end of the tunnel though! It gets frustrating especially when parts get lost but just plug forward!
Thanks.
There is no quitting in me. This will be done one day :)
Just gonna take a while.

I never knew that either but now looking at it the 64 mani has injectors that mount on the manifold. While 63 mounts on cylinder head itself

I never knew that either but now looking at it the 64 mani has injectors that mount on the manifold. While 63 mounts on cylinder head itself

The 4G64 DOHC from the 94 GS Galant is the same concept as a 63. I think the manifold mounted injectors is a sohc thing

Yep.
But if you can find this head from this specific model - you are a lucky person.
I personally tried and for anyone reading this, try too, but don’t count on it.
The cylinder head itself is exactly the same part as dsm and some other cars that came with a turbo or non turbo 4g63 7 bolt. So no need to look for one from a specific car unless you have a reason.

Yep.
But if you can find this head from this specific model - you are a lucky person.
I personally tried and for anyone reading this, try too, but don’t count on it.
Got lucky with my 2 GS galant heads. I wish I got the blocks as well but I didn’t know they were different at the time I got them

By chance does anyone know where i can find the countersink plugs for the block?
I would really prefer to tap in plugs rather then bang in freeze caps. But i just cant find the sizes anywhere. Specifically 5/8 and 11/16th.
I must be doing the wrong google searches.

Here is my attempt at organizing. Trying to remember just about everything I’ve ordered thus far.

4g64 DOHC timing belt
GSC S2 Cams
4g63t valve cover w/gaskets
SS O2 housing for 4g63t
Ecmlinkv3 slotted ECU
OEM Fuel Injector resistor for 4g63t
Underdrive crank pulley (just to see how it works)
All parts for rear brakes - rear drum to disc swap
Ported 4g63t Exhaust manifold
SS catback full exhaust
PTE 680CC Fuel Injectors
FuelLab “515” Adjustable EFI regulator kit
Walbro 255lph fuel pump w/hardwire kit
S90 throttle body (74mm) W/plates and gaskets
Dual Gauge cluster pod (glowshift)
4g63 knock sensor (with pigtail) (smp-ks32)
Innovate LC-2 Wideband Kit W/gauge
4g63t spark plugs and spark plug wires
4g63t TPS W/pigtail
4g63t IAC valve
4g63t cam gear timing belt cover
4g64 DOHC head gasket
Weapon-R cold air intake

I’m positive I am forgetting a bunch of things. I’ll add as I remember or get more.

I am still undecided on which turbo to use and which coolers/pipes to use.
I used the timing belt idler pulley from a WRX EJ engine for my 2.4 swap. It is half sized and allows you to use a 4g63 belt instead of searching for a 4g64 belt. My engine has a performance 4g63 belt and a 2.4 swap ( blue belt as seen in my pictures). It fits like a glove and NO need for putting the timing off 1/2 tooth. I will have to reply later with the exact part #.

Leaning towards this turbo.
Just not 100% sure about the wastegate and the oil feed/returns.
My feed will need to be from the head. And I will make the return hole in my existing oil pan.

Consider the 68hta. I've previously installed the 20g on my 2.4 swap, (stock cams) and I started boost around 3100rpm. Very Fun for the street. I've just had the 68hta installed. Not tuned yet, don't have numbers.

I
I used the timing belt idler pulley from a WRX EJ engine for my 2.4 swap. It is half sized and allows you to use a 4g63 belt instead of searching for a 4g64 belt. My engine has a performance 4g63 belt and a 2.4 swap ( blue belt as seen in my pictures). It fits like a glove and NO need for putting the timing off 1/2 tooth. I will have to reply later with the exact part #.
I actually got the 4g64 dohc cams and the 4g64 dohc timing belt.

Consider the 68hta. I've previously installed the 20g on my 2.4 swap, (stock cams) and I started boost around 3100rpm. Very Fun for the street. I've just had the 68hta installed. Not tuned yet, don't have numbers.
Already decided to go with the 16g. MHI evo III

So apparently the 4g64 FIAV does not fit on a 4G63 throttle body..

I’ve searched and info is all over the place for this as well.
Can anyone tell me if I can use pin 12 or 25 (same used for ec2 wideband base unit) for the switched connection for the actual wideband gauge?

Or is there a better 12v switched wire that should be used for the gauge?

Can anyone tell me if I can use pin 12 or 25 (same used for ec2 wideband base unit) for the switched connection for the actual wideband gauge?

12 or 25 are the most optimal pins to use. It’s up to you which one you want to use. Just make sure the connection is good and it has a 5A fuse connected to it

Thanks!
Any tips on which is the headlight wire under the dash?

Just about done with the FMIC installation.
Will start working on some custom fog light mounts next.

Welp as usual more work is required.
Ive already come to expect this, so not a big deal.

Had to remove the intercooler and lower it about 1" more.
This is only so i can fit the fog lights back in with a custom bracket (yet to be made).

Lowering it was not simple. Because there just is no space for it on the passenger side. I did not want to cut into the front frame support, so i just banged it out with a hammer.
With a bit of time and sweat, its now in its permanent place :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back