The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

2G 4g64 transmission - no pivot ball?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Gina2G

10+ Year Contributor
May 6, 2011
Beaufort, South_Carolina
okay guys well i have the transmission off this 4g64 as im replacing the clutch, i cant see a pivot ball anywhere at all in this bell housing, or behind the fork, is there a chance it doesnt have one? or is it more likely broken off? i didnt have any shifting issues prior to removal. would this mean if i need to shim id have to do it at the slave cylinder or would it gave to be behind the flywheel? if so what i use for the flywheel? i have an aftermarket stage 1 clutch and resurfacing my oem flywheel so i feel as if i could use a shim. thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    338.9 KB · Views: 165
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    310 KB · Views: 171
Move fork end back/forth the way it normally moves and you'll see where fork pivots on ball. Remove the TO bearing clip (memorize how it goes on for reassembly - it can be tricky to remember), pull TO bearing off, and pull fork towards you (jerk it hard).

thanks theres nothing back there though. car was driven with no engagement/disengagement issues but clutch started slipping but its the same one from the factory so here i am replacing the clutch. wouldnt the car not go into gear if it wasnt in place/broken off? old pressure plate looked like it was getting grinded into.

That's not even possible. The release fork works on a leverage principle.. the pivot ball is the fulcrum. If there's no pivot ball, the fork won't stay in the same position, and it would be all over the place. Not only that, you'd never be able to apply pressure against the clutch fingers.

Look behind the fork -- the ball is screwed into the bell housing.

guys ive read all over jacks site about the ball, everything hes talking about is specifically for 2.0 4g63 transmissions, what i have is the 2.4 4g64 engine & transmission. im not sure how many differences there between the 2 transmissions but theres nothing behind the fork! i see a few threaded holes with nothing that looks broken off. i cant get the camera behind the fork to take a pic so ill have to take the fork back off for pictures.

a call to mitsubishi says there is a fulcrum ball peice in my vehicle (matched VIN) that matches the part found in the turbo transmissions. i dont understand what the deal is though, as ive been driving the car as it was, but with a slipping clutch.

if no oe saw theres 2 photos of the inside bell housing with the firk in place

i can see completley behind the fork and theres nothing there though

I bet over the years the pivot ball unscrewed from the bell housing and is still stuck in the arm. Bet he will see the ball after he pulls the fork.

guys ive read all over jacks site about the ball, everything hes talking about is specifically for 2.0 4g63 transmissions, what i have is the 2.4 4g64 engine & transmission. im not sure how many differences there between the 2 transmissions but theres nothing behind the fork! i see a few threaded holes with nothing that looks broken off. i cant get the camera behind the fork to take a pic so ill have to take the fork back off for pictures.

a call to mitsubishi says there is a fulcrum ball peice in my vehicle (matched VIN) that matches the part found in the turbo transmissions. i dont understand what the deal is though, as ive been driving the car as it was, but with a slipping clutch.

if no oe saw theres 2 photos of the inside bell housing with the firk in place

What we're saying is it's an actual physical impossibility for you to disengage the clutch with no pivot ball in place. The clutch fork acts on leverage. If there was no pivot ball, the external -to-bellhousing portion of the fork would press up against the window in the bell housing by the slave cylinder at all times and stay there. You would not have clutch return, nor would you be able to apply proper leverage against the fork to depress the pressure plate fingers with the correct amount of throw, meaning you would be unable to shift. We're not forking around here.. :p

Last edited:
Remove the TOB clip remove the TOB remove the fork and you should see it. It's not gonna be insight you gotta remove everything in side the bell housing before you can see it at all. I know because Im using a 4g64 transmission on my 4g63 engine, of course I had to buy 2.4 axles but that's not the point I replace everything when did the swap and added the my ACT 2100 clutch & PP from my old transmission that was still good To reuse. The pic I screen shot is everything when I did the job.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-02-27-13-44-31.png
    Screenshot_2015-02-27-13-44-31.png
    145 KB · Views: 106
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back