The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G 4g64 Swap, Model years?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kai Hefner

Freelancer
Jun 21, 2018
Calgary, AB_Canada
Hey all. Been loving the idea of a 4g64 swap with a 4g63 head, but I'm still confused about which 4g64 blocks are supposed to be used. Do I HAVE to get a 4g64 from a 97-99 eclipse spyder? There is a 3g eclipse in a local junkyard, are the 4g64 bottom ends the same? The main gripe that I have is that I want a 7bolt split-thrust 4g64, the 3gs are plenty but the spyders are hard to come across.
Yes, I've read through projectzerog tons of times, yet I still don't have an understanding so I'm looking for a bit of clarification.

There's probably someone on this forum who knows more, and there are some threads out there on this subject. Here's one .
You need to think about how the block hooks up to the transmission, and also how the head hooks up to the intake etc, since the 4g64 in the 3g is in the opposite orientation from the 2g. You might be able to do something with a non-DSM 4g63 head.
Just trying to be helpful. I'd be interested to see what you come up with.

Last edited:
You need to think about how the block hooks up to the transmission, and also how the head hooks up to the intake etc,
I would be using the Mazda R transmission, because I'm using it in a 240sx. Anyone have any info about if the 3g 4g64 is narrow or wideblock?
Also if anyone comes across this thread who is selling a 4g64 from a spyder, lmk.

If this is for a rwd application, I recommend getting any fwd 2.4 block you desire. The Mazda trans is alright, but for real purpose (and torque) you want to use bill hincher's adapter and a Toyota r154 transmission, or a jeep ax15 converted to 2wd with r154 or r150 output shafts.

If this is for a rwd application, I recommend getting any fwd 2.4 block you desire. The Mazda trans is alright, but for real purpose (and torque) you want to use bill hincher's adapter and a Toyota r154 transmission, or a jeep ax15 converted to 2wd with r154 or r150 output shafts.
Good point, I'll get in contact with Bill.

Just to make sure, I can still put the 4g63 head on the 4g64 from a 3g eclipse? Are all the motor mounts the same despite being mounted differently in the 3G eclipse?

Yes and no, the dsm 4g head is not a bolt on for the newer 4g series engines, you can bolt a evo head on that 3g engine. Projectzerog has a lot of info on the subject, I do not look at the forum as there's a lot of incomplete threads but the main pages has most of it. I too plan one day to swap my starion with a 4g63.

Yes and no, the dsm 4g head is not a bolt on for the newer 4g series engines, you can bolt a evo head on that 3g engine.
A newer 4g head like an evoX head? That sounds a rad. Was hoping to keep it older-4g because then I could interchange parts between the cars but if that's a thing, I might be for it. I think I read somewhere that it's a common thing for the newer evo guys to rip the 4g64 out of the 3g eclipses.
How about motor mounts? I'm looking into swapping it into a 240sx, so I imagine I'll have issues but I read somewhere that a 4g63 lines up pretty well.

Yes and no, the dsm 4g head is not a bolt on for the newer 4g series engines, you can bolt a evo head on that 3g engine. Projectzerog has a lot of info on the subject, I do not look at the forum as there's a lot of incomplete threads but the main pages has most of it. I too plan one day to swap my starion with a 4g63.

Partially correct. The DSM head will physically bolt to the 4g64 (or even Evo block) and vice-versa, an Evo/Kia head will bolt to a DSM 4g block. The issue arises when blocking oil drain holes, which IMHO is trivial when doing these swaps. @JayRome may be willing to shed some light on this more, but I've been mocking up a couple setups and using either combo would be relatively easy as far as the long block is concerned. Manifolds and other plumbing is where things get tricky.

IIRC 2g/3g eclipse 4g64 sohc blocks do not have motor mounts on the block (save the mount on the timing belt side/front of the engine) as they are on the transmission. This is one of the hurdles you'll have to overcome when using a newer 4g block as theres few places to apply mounts, and they'll be 100% custom.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back