The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G 4G64 DOHC Head Swap any hp gains?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FiberSpyder

Probationary Member
Oct 16, 2004
Joplin, Missouri
A buddy of mine and I just got a 96 GST motor, it threw a rod through the oil pan :thumbdown so the block is useless but we were thinking of making a winter project out of the DOHC head. I have a 99 GS Spyder, not looking to put the turbo on it, I know few friends of mine that have had problems since they went turbo, just looking to power up my daily driver.

Now I know I could swap the DOHC head on it w/my 99 spyder, I was just wondering how much hp I could gain from this? We are going to replace the cams and cam gears w/aftermarket parts. Gonna pull the throttle body off and replace it w/a 1g body, new underdrive pulley, 2GT intake manifold, 2GT fuel rail and ECU, cold air intake, and in the near future a cat back exhaust w/headers.

So how much of a gain do you think that would be guys?? I'm just trying to give it a little extra push. I'd like around 175-180 hp, is that gonna be possible w/an all motor 4G64? Or is it going to be not that much of a gain?

Last edited by a moderator:
you cant swap the ecu from a turbo car onto a non-turbo car.. and second of all why do you want the fuel rail im sure your stocker is gonna flow more than enough for what you want.. i think you need to do some more research before you take on a project like this

rdeterman said:
you cant swap the ecu from a turbo car onto a non-turbo car.. and second of all why do you want the fuel rail im sure your stocker is gonna flow more than enough for what you want.. i think you need to do some more research before you take on a project like this

Just going w/what I read on 4g64.150m.com about the fuel rail,the ecu was supposed to stop knocking from a 1g throttle body,probably wont end up doing that stuff anyways tho...so what about the other stuff?

I thought that u could swap the ecu's for better fuel. Sorry to get off topic what problems did your friends run into while turboing their 4g64s. I plan on doing the head swap n turbo swap as soon as i get around to buying pistons n rods.

None of my friends have an Eclipse. We have run into problems w/putting turbos on civics, integras and things like that. Setup never seems to be quite right and I dont wanna risk it on my car right now. Maybe in the future, but right now I just wanna get that head swap in, probably port n polish when we do that too...

Last edited by a moderator:
maybe its cause civics and other cars dont have brother turbo cars i know this guy that did the head swap and turboed his eclipse its badass he doesnt run alot of boost but his car is sweet he said it kinda ran liek crap but hes still on the stock computer and as soon as he gets that done it will run alot better if your think about doing the swap i would say go for it(!?,.) thot i would throw those on :D

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back