The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

4g64 forged pistons with SOHC head

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Gina2G

10+ Year Contributor
May 6, 2011
Beaufort, South_Carolina
hey everyone just wanting to get pointed in the right direction before I pull my 4g64 n/t engine out for a rebuild.

I was going to follow the few guides that are out there at first about turboing the 4g64 as is after installing the turbo ECU for a low-boost setup / tune. A recent leak down test shows air coming from the dipstick & oil fill cap indicating worn piston rings, along with noticeable amount of oil going down every week on the dipstick. So wanting to go through for the rebuild, but always thought if you actually had the 4g64 out to do a rebuild, knowing its going to be turboed, why not put turbo rods, pistons rings right?

Well thing is I have all the turbo parts ready (for a stock boost setup) and not wanting to spend so much right away. I understand that the bore of a 4g64 is already bigger than a 4g63t engine, so factory pistons from a 63 wont work. Aftermarket pistons are $500 and up, give or take what I could buy a used 4g63t block for. I also know that the 4g64 pistons and rings are weaker then a 63 from higher compression, rather then the low compression turbo piston heads. the rods are supposed to be basically the same, meaning both 63 & 64 rods should fit turbo forged pistons.

main questions; Can you fit a 4g64 with forged pistons & rings, with a rebuilt SOHC head on stock boost & control? or is a DOHC head needed?

so it doesn't affect the compression ratio any differentially having forged pistons on a sohc vs on a dohc? i know the pistons and rings do but not the head? i know what these engines can be found in used, unknown conditions. but i dont belive in doing a great install knowing minimial about the actual engine conditon. I dont have the knowledge or tools to rebuild an engine head either LOL.

There is many different compression ratios of forged pistons. If they advertise it for a N/A 4g64 and is 9.0:1. Then that's gonna be your compression ratio. now if you install a DOHC head, of course its gonna change.

Yeah man that's a ton of cash and work to keep that SOHC. $250 is chump change after what you've spent already.

Main option is get your new pistons for the specific head you are gonna use.
Heads have different CC's so yes it would affect, plus they might even make contact, that is the reason you should get pistons for a specific head.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back