The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

2G 4g64 Dead Tach

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

obxspyder

Probationary Member
Sep 20, 2019
Manteo, North_Carolina
Ever since I bought this 1999 Spyder, the tachometer hasnt worked. Figured it might just be a defective cluster so went ahead and replaced it with a couple different ones: One from another 2g spyder, a 95 talon tsi, and a random cluster from another DSM, all of the functions worked except for the tach. So next I looked into wiring. I took off the dash, and tested the (white) tach wire from the module on the intake manifold all the way up to the cluster and visually inspected the wire, all of it was intact and putting out a signal.

So as a test, I ordered a $30ish tach off ebay and tapped into the tach wire and.. tada! A signal! But its not really the most appealing thing to look at while driving, if theres a way to fix the original tachometer I would much rather do that. Is there anyone who has any ideas about what could be keeping the gauge from putting out rpms?

Attachments

• 20200729_110410.jpg
    20200729_110410.jpg
    850.9 KB · Views: 125
Maybe the lead isn't making contact with the circuit board on the back maybe the lead got pushed down into the plug preventing contact for the tach signal. I would remove the cluster and check the metal contacts on the plugs that insert into the cluster when you install it.

Maybe the lead isn't making contact with the circuit board on the back maybe the lead got pushed down into the plug preventing contact for the tach signal. I would remove the cluster and check the metal contacts on the plugs that insert into the cluster when you install it.

Will check the lead not making contact now that i have the cluster out again.

What ground are you using for the aftermarket tach?

As for where the aftermarket tach is grounded, there werent any good metal contact surfaces in the area that were clean, so a self tapping screw tucked beside the lower left dash screw is what im using as a ground. Im sure there was something I overlooked that I couldve used LOL, just didnt want to mess with the cig lighter and have wires going all over the place

Attachments

• 20200801_121737.jpg
    20200801_121737.jpg
    694.1 KB · Views: 113
  • 20200801_121748.jpg
    20200801_121748.jpg
    672.4 KB · Views: 129
I think the tachs these clusters are very touchy especially after the clust has been removed one or twice mine goes dead some times and i have to push on the cluster a little and its fine even with the four mounting screws holding it down.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back