The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

2G 4g64 compatible blocks

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kbo2003

Probationary Member
Mar 18, 2016
Delaware, Ohio
I have a 97 spyder with the 2.4 and I'm having a world of trouble. To start with no one around here would rebuild it (finally found someone) but I had to track down all the parts. I don't know much but I guess the balance shaft has messed up the block. First question does anyone know where to get a balance shaft for the 4g64 other than the dealer? And which other cars are compatible that will bolt up perfectly with the eclipse head and all take all the parts I have purchased. I bought a new crank and everything. I know the galants hands the same engine but will everything interchange fine?

Motor wise it should all be the same, the Galant 4G64 7 bolt is the same motor thats in the 2g spyder.

and you can eliminate the balance shafts, if you want to, it frees up a few hp, and makes the car less likely to skip the timing belt [since the balance shaft belt will be gone] of course the down side is the engine will be a little less smooth, but some dsmers don't even notice the difference.

Last edited:
Heres a link to the sirius engine (4G variants) wiki page, it isn't perfect but it's a good read, got me alot of options as far as what engines could cross pollinate.

I'd say delete the balance shafts, but do the rear shaft like ams does, turn down the counterweights so it still has the rear bearing, allowing it to support the oil pump.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

If the shop you're having do the rebuild isn't familiar with 4G variant engines, id personally run away fast. You could always send your core out to JAM or another vendor on here and have them do the work. It might be a little more in shipping, but an unfamiliar shop will not give your engine the correct attention.

Are you swapping a dohc head on? If so you will need to plug some of the oil drain holes, as well as get the appropriate timing belt or do mods to the tensioner arm for the belt to fit.

I had a AMS 2.3 stroker motor complete w/ race Balance shaft and intake and exhaust mani's, that thing was a beast with all of 600hp out of GT35R, the race shaft doesnt make much difference but that motor was silky smooth.

Only reason I recommend the ams style delete is for support. The short stub works for 90% of ppl just fine, but if you're one to beat on your car, the extra insurance is nice. In my mind it's less about the rpm the motor will see, vs the t-belt load on the oil pump once tensioned.

I had mine made from an old BS for $30, kinda hard to pass up and I don't have to worry about it or insane oil pressures as much.

But enough about that, back to the motor swapping.

Only reason I recommend the ams style delete is for support. The short stub works for 90% of ppl just fine, but if you're one to beat on your car, the extra insurance is nice. In my mind it's less about the rpm the motor will see, vs the t-belt load on the oil pump once tensioned.

I had mine made from an old BS for $30, kinda hard to pass up and I don't have to worry about it or insane oil pressures as much.

But enough about that, back to the motor swapping.
question! other than free power why do most people delete it any way

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread has been cleaned up. All future post should contain useful information pertaining to the OP’s original question.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back