The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

4G64 - a hole in the oil gallery, normal or abnormal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tak

Probationary Member
Feb 3, 2014
Albany, Oregon
Hi,
I'm working on balance shaft elimination (partly because the silence shaft drive gear has caused some troubles since the last rebuild). When I took the front cover off, I came across this hole in the oil gallery (shown with a red arrow below).
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

This gallery is located behind the front cover on the 4G64 block as indicated by the red circle below:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Could anybody tell me if this is normal or abnormal? If abnormal, should I try to repair it with JB Weld or something? Thank you for your advice!

Attachments

• IMG_20140203_153516.jpg
    IMG_20140203_153516.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_20140203_153531.jpg
    IMG_20140203_153531.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 245
Abnormal. .......................................................... Abbie Normal

My first impression is that it wouldn't cause any issues at all. If I let my mind wander, I can see how it could potentially cause problems. Personally, I would try to fix it, just for the peace of mind.

That is not an oil passage. The 2 longer ones are, that is not. Nothing bad will ever happen from that.

Thanks for your replies! @bryanwheat, that sounds reassuring. Do you know what that passage does/goes to? On the front cover side, it seems like those two "compartments" separated that seemingly breached wall are connected together. So I was thinking maybe I don't need to worry about it. But I wanted to check with the knowledgeable crowd to see if anyone has seen this before or know something about it.

I might think thats just an leak down passage. If its an high pressure passage i would'nt let olie leak like that. jafromobile on youtube has an video about the oil passages, if i'm remember correct he explain those passages. Look it up, its on the crankwalk examination video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back