The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

4G64/4G63 2.6L Build...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler00793

Probationary Member
Mar 6, 2014
West Jordan, Utah
Hey, I’m brand new here, so let’s start with an introduction. The name is Tyler, and I have a 95’ Eagle Talon TSi FWD. About a month ago it decided it was done and got a knock. With tax time here, I figure the new build should be over the top, but I need help this time. Me and my dad pulled the old motor together, but this time I want more then the stock 4G63, this time I’m going for a 4G64/4G63 hybrid 2.6L around 450-500 HP for now.

My biggest problem however is, I love my car and working on it, but I have no idea how to figure out what parts I need to get the car to that point. I realize saying that sort of thing might make a few mouths sour, but it’s true. I’ve only rebuilt this stock engine, and this isn't the sort of thing you learn by watching YouTube videos. So I’ll list general parts and some questions…

4G64 Block – To get to my 2.6L goal do I need to look for any specifics in the block, or will any old 4G64 work?

Internals – Is it worth saving a paycheck or two and going all out here, or should I get some cheaper stuff (Not dirt cheap, you all know what I mean) and upgrade later when I add a bigger turbo?

4G63 Head – I have my current engine, so I’ll probably be able to use it on the build. The internals here are also dependent on the turbo I assume, so maybe a slight upgrade? Or save again and go all out?

Intake and Exhaust – I figure I’ll be getting an intercooler and pipes to my intake, but are there any real upgrades for my intake manifold? Also I’ll be getting headers for sure.

Turbo – This is a big question I know I need to answer soon as a lot of the build rides on it. What size turbo should I try to get, will a 16G be a good place to start, or might I try 20G?

Fuel – This is where nothing makes sense to me, I’ve never even thought about changing anything but the injectors, so any advice here would be nice.
I figure that’s enough for now, any advice helps. I’m not looking for someone to plan out the whole build for me, and hold my hand, I just really need help figuring out what I need to plan for (That’s never been my strong suit). Any links to other threads based on this kind of build are great, and anyone in the area that has built this before would be even better.

I have found this one http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/cylinder-head-short-block/251608-4g63-4g64-2-4l-build-list.html

But the build is for a 2.4L and I’m not really sure how it’ll vary. I’ll edit as needed and keep updating regularly. C ya.

Any 4g64 should work, as long as it's from that generation of 4g64. I too have been considering a 2.6 build. But can't decide between that or the 2.1 yet.

Not any 4g64 will work. Some of the newer 4G64s will bolt in but will not mate up to the dsm trans. It has an evo bell housing design.

Youll need to find one that's year specific. So more in the lines of around the 2G year range.

Not any 4g64 will work. Some of the newer 4G64s will bolt in but will not mate up to the dsm trans. It has an evo bell housing design.

Youll need to find one that's year specific. So more in the lines of around the 2G year range.

And I know that, that's why I said "from that generation of 4g64". Meaning 4g64 from the '90's.

are you dead set on a 2.6L? you can achieve your 500whp goal for much less $$. Gotta think that for just the cost of the custom crank from BC, you can get a proven rotating assembly or a good quality turbo. My 4g64 crank/eagle rod/wiseco piston combo has already dyno'd 703whp (guy I bought the long block from's talon). I tuned my friend's 100% stock longblock 7 bolt 2.0 with an ebay gt35 on e85 to just over 500whp FWD...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back