The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G 4g63t opinions/ advice needed pls

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mechanized

Proven Member
Jul 29, 2017
linden, Pennsylvania
so i havent really started my build thread however today finally had a chance to tear my engine down...long story short on this is that it had a bad knock which previous owner said was ghost knock. engine ran like crap, had the knock and fuel issues. anyhow...tore it down today to find the head gummed up with lots of carbon around the valves, turbo bearings and such trashed(which i knew and already bought a new one) and found #2 rod bearings destroyed to the point that you could move the rod up and down and all around while still mounted to the crank. this is my first 4g63t rebuild and my questions are...is it worth it to see if the machine shop can turn the crank? what would i need to do afterwards as far as bigger bushings/ bearings? should i just replace the crank, rods and pistons all together? my end goal here is somewhere in the ballpark of 350-400hp and the car itself is a gst not gsx. i know we all say we are only going to that hp limit but for now that is where id like to end up. ill cross the next bridge when i get there. the block and head are going to the shop at some point here over the winter and my goal is to have the engine and all back together by spring. so please id like to hear opinions and advice on what you all have experienced and what my best path may be. thanks in advance!

Ultimately That would be up to the crank shop to tell you if the can or not. If it has to be machined more than .020" Trash it. Cut cranks will work fine just make sure the shop cleans it out good.

Get a new crank, not worth the hassle and chance of cutting through the hardening if its a 6bolt, which if the bearing spun it already has.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back