The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

4G63T Head Gasket Repair

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bymp

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 22, 2010
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Hello All,

I was on my way home the other day and got off the interstate. Looked down at I was overheating. I pulled over and I let the car cool down and through my observation of the engine, my reservoir tank was overfilled, but after the engine cooled down, the coolant was brought back into the engine and I was dramatically low.

Over the weekend I replaced the radiator cap, thermostat, thermostat gasket, and I filled the system back up with coolant. Now to my little surprise, the engine is running horribly and has a white smoke coming out of the tail pipe. So I feel like it's time to replace a head gasket. 230,XXX miles, I guess it's not a bad time to repair.

My question is this:

I've never done a head gasket repair, but I have done major mechanical work on my car and I feel comfortable doing this repair.

Can someone point me in the direction of what would be a good idea to have checked, or replaced while I have the head pulled off? Gaskets, components, ETC.?

I'm due for a timing belt change, so please let me know everything you would recommend, looking for some wise guidance from the masters :D

Thanks all,

Joe

On a side note.....

Does anyone know a good tutorial, or thread that covers a head gasket replacement? I have my repair manual out, but more knowledge on the subject, the better.

230,000 is great! That's a lot of mile for an original engine. You will want to have the head,and deck checked for warpage. If the deck of the block shows signs of warping, the block will need machined. Start there and keep us updated.

Gates timing belt, balance belt, and a stock or gates belt tensioner. Stock or gates idler and tensioner pulleys also. Replace the water pump at this time too.

Thanks all,

I will keep everyone posted,

How does this sound so far:

Head Gasket
Have the head check, and shaved if needed
Head Studs
Intake and Exhaust Manifold Gaskets
Valve Cover Gasket (Complete Set)
Cam Shaft Seals
Timing Belt
Balance Belt
Idler Bearing
Tensioner Bearing
Tensioner pulleys
Water Pump
Valve Stem Seals (I've got a strong feeling that they are going bad)

Can anyone add or remove anything from this list? Please advise

Thanks all,

Joe

Adding to the list:

I'm planning to buy a Topline Head Gasket Set:
EXTREME PSI : Your #1 Source for In Stock Performance Parts

Instead of using the Head Gasket that comes with the set I'm planning to use an OEM gasket instead:

Buying a Topline Water Pump

Extreme PSI Timing Belt Kit
Including:
---OEM Timing Belt
---OEM Tensioner Adjuster
---OEM Tensioner Pulley
---OEM Idler Pulley
---OEM Balancer Pulley
---OEM Balance Shaft Belt

Last but not least.....

Head Studs From Advance Auto Parts: Manufacturer: Felpro
Buy Felpro Head Bolt Set ES 71177 at Advance Auto Parts

Please advise on the Quality and concerns of this purchase list,

Thanks,

Joe

What you are calling head studs from advance are head bolts, and TTY. Yes they are cheaper, but can not be reused, Like the ARP head studs.

I hope to only have to tear down once, I looked at the Arp Head Studs but I didn't see a need to being able to re-use the studs if I do this correctly.

I'm trying to work on a budget but at the same time purchase quality parts where it matters.

Can someone advise if the parts I have on the purchase list are over kill or if there is some parts that I can afford to downgrade to another after market supplier?

I don't mind using an aftermarket supplier if the quality is great, but I am inexperienced in this topic.

Thanks all,

Joe

Get a good straight-edge and check the deck for warp. It does not happen as often as a warped head, but all your work will be for not if the deck isn't true.

My motor came out with 240k on it and I can tell you to think about new bronze guides for the head. You will definelty need new stem seals and to clean up the head and valves really good, just something to keep a eye on incase they need changing.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back