The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

420A 4g63t engine & transmission swap

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

99GS4G63Swap

Probationary Member
Jun 16, 2021
Seattle, Washington
Hello looking to swap from a 420a into a 4g63t with trans. Took a brief look at transmissions and was only able to find 2 2g dsm trans for 10k a piece. Is there a suitable aftermarket transmission that will pair well?

The engine that came in your non turbo car the 420a engine sits on the passenger side of the car whereas the turbo engine the 4g63t resides on the driver side of the car, while its not impossible to put the 4g63t into a non turbo 420a chassis, it IS a lot of work and generally left to those with welding and fabrication skills, paying someone to have it done would not be cheap, if you know someone that can do it with you, or if the car is sentimental to you then by all means go for it, the motor mounts and transmission mounts will have to have the spot welds drilled out, the mounts pried off and then re-welded to the opposite side of the car, in addition everything else will have to be taken from a turbo model and transferred to the non turbo model such as the wiring harness, fuel delivery components etc, there are write ups on how it is done if you search for them.

The engine that came in your non turbo car the 420a engine sits on the passenger side of the car whereas the turbo engine the 4g63t resides on the driver side of the car, while its not impossible to put the 4g63t into a non turbo 420a chassis, it IS a lot of work and generally left to those with welding and fabrication skills, paying someone to have it done would not be cheap, if you know someone that can do it with you, or if the car is sentimental to you then by all means go for it, the motor mounts and transmission mounts will have to have the spot welds drilled out, the mounts pried off and then re-welded to the opposite side of the car, in addition everything else will have to be taken from a turbo model and transferred to the non turbo model such as the wiring harness, fuel delivery components etc, there are write ups on how it is done if you search for them.
Thank you. I’ll definitely look into it. Wasn’t aware the mounts were on opposite sides of the car. I mean gst/x aren’t cheap either. I’ll see what I can come up with thank you!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back