The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

4G63T 2Ga to 1Gb Engine Swap - Need Help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liger Zero

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 24, 2008
Ephrata, Pennsylvania
Hey guys! I have a 95 GSX that I bought a few months ago and the motor died a month later. I was told the motor was recently replaced with a 1G motor swapped over to work in the 2G setup. Well, I found a replacement 4G63T out of a 93 Eclipse/Talon (FWD or AWD unknown). I figured that this motor should go right in, but I was wrong... Apparently theres more sensors on the old motor like a camshaft sensor, etc. a different intake, and several others things as well as the transmission does not line properly to be bolted to the new motor. Can somebody enlighten me as to what I am looking at here and possibly let me know if these are simple fixes or major work that is going to need done? Thanks in advance.

The previous owner probably used a 2g head with a 6-bolt block. If the the head on the old engine is still good, throw it on the new engine block. And what do you mean by the trans doesn't line up, you mean with the rear motor mount? Or with the engine block?

Im sorry, I tried searching for this but was having a terrible time locating a similar situation. I guess I was using the wrong keywords.

Anyways, the head ended up getting warped on the old motor from overheating. The new motor I got for it just had a new head put on it so I was looking forward to keeping that, but will it work with the old style head? And the transmission doesnt line up to bolt onto the motor.

Thank you for the links! I found out the majority of what I need to know. Only thing is, everything I read is that the people were utilizing a 2G head whereas I would be keeping the 1G head. What all would need to b changed for the 1G head to work? And I saw you stated that the 1G motor does not use a crank sensor. Well since my old motor had one, do I just leave that part of the harness unplugged or do need to rig something up for that?

Last edited:
Im sorry, I tried searching for this but was having a terrible time locating a similar situation. I guess I was using the wrong keywords.

Anyways, the head ended up getting warped on the old motor from overheating. The new motor I got for it just had a new head put on it so I was looking forward to keeping that, but will it work with the old style head? And the transmission doesnt line up to bolt onto the motor.

Basically, yes you can out any 4g63 head on any 4g63 engine in the DSM. It might take some rewiring of some sensors, but it can be done. Any pictures of the transmission not bolting up? The 2g trans should bolt up to a 6-bolt block.

Well I saw what happened where the 1G block only has 3 transmission bolts whereas the 2G has 4. My biggest issue would be getting all the sensors to work with the 2G computer. What all wiring do I need to either eliminate or change to make this happen? Oh, and my motor is a 93 7 bolt block.

Thank you for the links! I found out the majority of what I need to know. Only thing is, everything I read is that the people were utilizing a 2G head whereas I would be keeping the 1G head. What all would need to b changed for the 1G head to work?

Thank you for taking the time to read them.

Now that you have, there are a few things you need to worry about in keeping the 1G head. Read this as it covers a good deal of it and goes along with the third point below: RRE's Eclipse 2g Turbo to 1g Head Swap Tips

• a 1G thermostat housing and water pipe must be used; be sure to use the correct (2G) coolant sensor for the ECU
  • a 1G intake manifold must be used; along with that, you'll need some way to get a reading to your MDP sensor
  • unless you modify the 1G head to accept the 2G cam angle sensor, a 1G cam angle sensor must be used; the 1G cam sensor must be used if a 2G crank sensor is not used as well
  • mounting the power transistor unit and coil pack can be interesting
The third point is easily the most complex. The fool-proof way of doing this is to use the 2G cam and crank sensors; that doesn't necessarily mean it is the easiest because the difficulty depends on what parts you plan to use. With a 1G head, the easiest method would be using the 1G cam sensor but this can cause a very common issue.

If you go about using the 1G cam sensor, you'll be buying the adapter harness or doing the wiring in this article: http://magnusmotorsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/1gina2g.pdf.

Well I saw what happened where the 1G block only has 3 transmission bolts whereas the 2G has 4.

For clarity, these are the number of bolts going through the transmission and threading to the block. Each engine has another, smaller bolt on the intake side that goes through the block and threads into the transmission.

Last edited:
Thank you for taking the time to read them.

Now that you have, there are a few things you need to worry about in keeping the 1G head. Read this as it covers a good deal of it and goes along with the third point below: RRE's Eclipse 2g Turbo to 1g Head Swap Tips

• a 1G thermostat housing and water pipe must be used
  • a 1G intake manifold must be used; along with that, you'll need some way to get a reading to your MDP sensor
  • unless you modify the 1G head to accept the 2G cam angle sensor, a 1G cam angle sensor must be used; the 1G cam sensor must be used if a 2G crank sensor is not used as well
  • mounting the power transistor unit and coil pack can be interesting
The third point is easily the most complex. The fool-proof way of doing this is to use the 2G cam and crank sensors; that doesn't necessarily mean it is the easiest because the difficulty depends on what parts you plan to use. With a 1G head, the easiest method would be using the 1G cam sensor but this can cause a very common issue.

If you go about using the 1G cam sensor, you'll be doing the wiring in this article: http://magnusmotorsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/1gina2g.pdf.

For clarity, these are the number of bolts going through the transmission and threading to the block. Each engine has another, smaller bolt on the intake side that goes through the block and threads into the transmission.

Great articles! Im going to get on this asap. I never would have found all this great info myself so quickly! Thanks again! :thumb:

I have a 98 gst 2.0 turbo spyder. I recently converted to the 91 6bolt motor 4g63. I wired the crank sensor plug and the camshaft sensor plug up accordingly and the engine fire good. have awesome compression. motor is all stock with 9-1 pistons, 16g turbo on 7 lbs of boost. However with a new set of plus the car runs too ritch turning the plugs black and not idling . seems to have a bad miss untill I get to 2000 rpms. Please help with any info. Ron 443-278-4323:confused:

I think you should probably post your own thread instead of intruding in the OPs. That being said though we need more info. Are you running DSM LINK or any kind of tuning device? Also did you make sure you replaced the plugs with the same plugs? BPR6ES I believe they are. These cars dislike fancy spark plugs.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back