The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

4g63 vr4, replace cas, cranks but wont start

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benny23

Proven Member
Aug 15, 2015
Brisbane, Australia
hi all, hope someone on here can help out?

during idle, engine randomly starved itself and stopped. Figured out it had no fuel or spark, replaced cam angle sensor, starter motor, coilpack and plugs, now cranks for days, and has fuel and spark but wont quite start. It backfires while cranking. It also, while key is held on cranking, will pause/lose power on guages, dash unit, and while key is still held on, will randomly fire back up and start cranking? has new battery and also tried cranking while hooked up with leads to another battery. i never touched the timing, and when cylinder 1 is TDC, all the marks on cam gears and crank line up perfect, the crank possibly looks to be out maybe 2mm?

any help will be greatly appreciated

thanks

sorry, i meant to say the 2 cam gear marks look to be out mayb 2mm, not the crank

well its backfiring and cranking over normal/. also, when i crank it by hand, i can hear the compression? would it be better off if i did an actual compression test?

dont think so bro, spun it around and everything. re-installed it numerous times

I believe with a cas being replaced you have to set timing. I could be wrong.

yes i think perhaps cars with dizzys you do, but this has coil packs. a little different i think. i cant even get it start to adjust the timing haha

Do an actual compression test and see what you got. Just to eliminate that issue. You sure your ECU is good?

Do an actual compression test and see what you got. Just to eliminate that issue. You sure your ECU is good?

compression test will be next, ecu is currently down in sydney getting tested at microtech australia!

compression test will be next, ecu is currently down in sydney getting tested at microtech australia!

allthough its backfiring heaps when i crank, so i gathered compression was good

Do you have the spark plug wires installed in the correct order? Sounds like the car is trying to fire when it shouldn't be, indicating to me you possibly swapped plug wire(s) when you changed the plugs.

Verify the wire order.

Also, you need to set the base timing with a timing light anytime you remove the CAS.

When you are installing the CAS, are you lining up all the motor's timing marks, and then installing the CAS with its own timing mark lined up?

Last edited:
Do you have the spark plug wires installed in the correct order? Sounds like the car is trying to fire when it shouldn't be, indicating to me you possibly swapped plug wire(s) when you changed the plugs.

Verify the wire order.

Also, you need to set the base timing with a timing light anytime you remove the CAS.

When you are installing the CAS, are you lining up all the motor's timing marks, and then installing the CAS with its own timing mark lined up?

i double checked the plugs were correct but will def check again when computer comes back from being tested. When i took cas out, i did crank by hand numerous times before i sourced a diff (used) cas, but i lined everything up perfect before installing. Crank lined up, cylinder 1 TDC, And 2 cam gears lined up but looked to be maybe 2 mm out? i bought a timing light to set base timing also but cant quite get it started to be able to set base timing! since diff cas has gone in, i now have spark and fuel where as before that, i didnt?

Did you line up the marks on the CAS prior to re-installing? If not, it could be 180* out. Set mechanical timing (all timing marks lined up, cams/crank) then line up marks on CAS and install. Then set base ignition timing with timing light.

Did you line up the marks on the CAS prior to re-installing? If not, it could be 180* out. Set mechanical timing (all timing marks lined up, cams/crank) then line up marks on CAS and install. Then set base ignition timing with timing light.

i did exactly what you just told me about 6 times, and also soun cas around, lined it all back up abd tried it 180. still, it cranks and cranks and back fires and everything but wont start

Probably just a base ignition timing issue then. Start off with the CAS in the center of the adjustment and adjust from there. Good luck. Keep us posted when you get the ECU back.

Probably just a base ignition timing issue then. Start off with the CAS in the center of the adjustment and adjust from there. Good luck. Keep us posted when you get the ECU back.

thanks mate will def keep you posted

can someone confirm testing fuel pressure is as easy as plumbing a fuel guage into hise from fuel rail, and turning accessories on, listen for the fuel pump and read guage for 35-40psi?

Yes, you can plumb a gauge into the system on either side of the rail.

Use the fuel pump test terminal to activate the pump. Apply 12v to the check connector located on the firewall behind the intake manifold:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

On the INT cam end, you see a symbol that looks like a house.

On the CAS end, the one blade has a groove in the blade and that groove meets up with the dimple on the casing. The house symbol has to be looking normal and not upside down.

These all align up and the CAS will be in time.

Bet. the ECU has dumped on you, the way your issues are coming across in your description.

(This is what's in my Laser, is a VR4, 4G63 with the B16G)

Good luck - DSM

UPDATE:

yes the cam angle sensor was in 180 degrees out :) van is up and running now but set at 8degrees, is booked in for dyno and tune next week!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back