The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

4g63 valve springs in my 420a

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4g63turbo84

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 10, 2008
ocala, Florida
Ok so I have done some homework and found that the valve springs in a 4g63 will fit in a 420a but what im trying to make sure is that the retainers from the 4g63 well not work so I want to know how good are the stock retainers from the 420a are!??

Just buy aftermarket springs and retainers and be done with it.

I personally try to avoid mixing manufacturer parts. But to be safe pick up some aftermarket retainers for the 420a and you should be set.

Also how far apart are the spring rates?

due to the difftrent valve stem dia. and the valve lock design the retainers will not work from the 4g63 on the 420A.

Yes BC website shows that the BC1100 will work on both the 4g63 and the 420A, look under the SRT-4
http://www.briancrower.com/makes/dodge/srt4_valvetrain.shtml

some more spring info you may find helpful
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/341209-4g63t-valve-spring-info.html

I just checked a 420A retainer on the BC1100 spring, it will work , but be sloppy.

420A spring OD 1.037 ID .741
BC1100 spring OD 1.105 ID .785

420A retainer 1.032 appox OD
inner step is .690

so with the 420a stock retainer is appox .005 smaller than the 420A stock spring and the Spring ID to the retainer is .051 allowing for appox .026 sideways movement

Now the stock 420A retainer with the BC1100 springs the retainer is appox .073 smaller and will not support rhe top of the spring well
and the BC1100 spring ID to 420A retainer step is .095 smaller allowing for appox .048 sideways movement, almost twice the 420a stock set up.

My best advice would be to contact BC, or a supporting vendor and get the correct 420A retainers for the BC1100 springs

you will need to know if your valve locks are a single groove or a triple groove set up, so you will recive the proper retainers.

yes I just happen to have a tore apart 420A head laying around and a set of BC1100 springs, so I could measure all the parts in question! LOL

Let me know how the 4g63 springs work if it gives you any difference i want to try them out. Do you have stock cams in there?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back