The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

4G63 Swap into 3/S Platform

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tacoman123

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 1, 2003
Detroit_MI_-_Da_313
Hi all!
This was discussed in the 3/S forums quite a few times over the years, and has been shot down by 6G owners (in the 3/S forums) without much credible evidence. I propose swapping a 4G63 into a 3/S AWD chassis.

The benefits of a 3/S:
Larger aftermarket support
Much more room to work (compared to the 6G72)
Cheaper engines
Similar weight to a DSM (once slightly lightened)

I'd much rather have a 4G63 than a 6G72. The 4G63/4 can be bored and stroked close to the displacement of the 6G. Its inline-4 engine is more simple than the V6. Easier to tune one turbo as opposed to two. And obviously, more room to work.

What I've concluded is that the same generation between each cars have many similarities. For example, 1G DSM and 1G 3/S both have all the mounts on the engine, and no trans mount. The mount locations seem to be in the same spots in either setup. I've read about 4G63 into 6G72 powered Galants, and 6G73 into 420A powered Avengers. The difference is, these cars had the option of the motor, so issues such as custom mounting/subframes, oil pan clearance, and etc wasn't an issue.

Chassis wiring will be left alone. The engine will be controlled using Megasquirt.

I've owned several DSM's throughout the years (one 2G NT and the rest 2G AWD's). The chassis would be a 1G 3000GT/Stealth AWD. A donor 1G AWD used for its motor, trans and transfer case.

Any input would be great.

Thanks

-Tahleel

...why?

Similar weight? Better aftermarket than DSMs? Wha? :confused:

You'd give up .4-1.0 liters of displacement (a 2.6L 4G64 costs HOW much? 2k for a kit?) and 2 cylinders going 4G from 6G. Then you need to fab all that crap to mount the engine and mate the trans. Unless you're talking a automatic FWD 3/S it won't mate up to the trans easily. The 6G can hold more power stock than the 4G. And I don't see how having 1 turbo or 2 affects tuning?

3300lbs vs 3800lbs is not close. 500lbs is major weight reduction. And the aftermarket is small and overpriced compared to DSMs.

I own both cars. And i ask the same question... Why? That 6 is solid. Its not as hard to work on as you think. I have mine apart right now. I wouldnt swap.

I own both cars. And i ask the same question... Why? That 6 is solid. Its not as hard to work on as you think. I have mine apart right now. I wouldnt swap.

Yeah its solid, I ran my R/T almost dry of oil once somehow and it still runs to this day. But easy to work on it is not, don't you have to pull the intake mani to change the spark plugs on the rear bank or something? Still not as bad as a 300ZX TT

I don't really think this relates to 4g63 bolt-on's. This would fit better in the hangout.

Both engines are made by Mitsubishi and both can put down very nice numbers. The swap between the two would be pointless, equated only by the sr20det into a 300zxTT, a waste of money and effort.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back